The Roomba i7 is a great robot vacuum cleaner that can glide across your floors and pick up dirt and debris. It makes cleaning your home so much easier and the WIFI features even let you control the Roomba when you’re not at home. Of course, before using it, you want to make sure you complete the activation process correctly.
When the Roomba is in the charging station, press and hold the Home & Spot buttons at the same time. Release them after 4 seconds. In the Roomba App, confirm you pressed the buttons. Then follow the on-screen prompts.
Still, confused? Don’t worry. In this article, we will go through all the steps needed to activate your Roomba i7.
Preparing to Set Up the WIFI
The best way to activate the Roomba is by getting prepared to set up the WIFI. You will first need to unpack the Roomba i7 and ensure you have all the things necessary to get a WIFI connection:
- The name of your WIFI router. You can check the sides or the back.
- Your WIFI router’s password. The default password should be listed underneath the name.
- Check that your router is 2.4GHz. Roomba’s do not work on 5GHz networks. The good news is that most routers nowadays are dual and have both speeds.
Now, let’s take a look at downloading the app.
Downloading the iRobot Home App
Once you have downloaded the app you will be able to:
- Make a map of your home so the Roomba knows where to clean.
- Create a schedule so your Roomba will clean at the same times every day.
- Connect the Roomba i7 to WIFI.
Now, let’s look at turning on your bluetooth.
Turning on Bluetooth
The Roomba i7 vacuum cleaner uses Bluetooth from your mobile device to activate cleaning methods and so that it can communicate with the iRobot Home App:
- Make sure the Bluetooth on your mobile device is on so that it can find and connect to the Roomba.
- If you don’t turn the Bluetooth on, the iRobot home app might prompt you to turn it on or it will take longer to complete the setup process.
Now, let’s look at putting your base station in the right location.
Putting Your Base Station in the Correct Place
The base station or charging station of the Roomba i7 is where it will sit when not in use. It will also go back to the charging station if its battery is about to die.
There are some tips to follow regarding the charging station that will make activation easier:
- Make sure the charging station is at least 5 feet from stairs so that when it comes out it will fall down the steps or get stuck at the bottom.
- Make sure the charging station is on a hard surface and away from obstacles.
- Make sure the charging station is in a place where the WIFI coverage in your home is very good.
Now, let’s look at naming your Roomba.
Naming Your Roomba
When you open the iRobot Home App after you have turned on Bluetooth, it will come up with a default name. If you want to customize the name of your Roomba:
- Click “Yes” when it asks if you want to rename the Roomba.
- Type in the name of your Roomba that you wish it to be called.
- Tap Confirm.
- Tap Continue.
Now, let’s look at connecting your Roomba to Wi-Fi.
Connecting the Roomba i7 to WIFI
After you name the Roomba in the app, the app will start to show prompts about setting up the vacuum cleaner to WIFI. The app will show the same network that your phone is connected to. If you wish for the Roomba to use this network, you can skip the steps below.
If you are using an IOS device and want the Roomba to use another network, follow these steps:
- Choose to Select a Different WIFI network.
- Choose the WIFI network you want the vacuum cleaner to connect to.
- It will take you to a new page and have you enter the new network’s password.
Now, let’s look at the steps for Android users.
For Android users, follow these steps to connect your Roomba to WIFI:
- Tap Change WIFI Network.
- Select the WIFI network you want to connect to.
- Enter in the password.
- Tap Continue.
Now, let’s look at the final step.
Final Activation Steps
After following the steps above, your Roomba i7 should be ready to activate and start cleaning.
After connecting to the WIFI, the Roomba will turn on the internal WIFI in the robot and the app will be able to locate it. Follow these steps to complete activation:
- Make sure the Robot is on its base.
- Press the Home & Spot button at the same time.
- Hold the buttons down for about 4 seconds or until you hear a noise.
- Check the I Pressed the Buttons in the Roomba app.
Your Roomba is now activated.
Activating the Roomba can be done in a few simple steps, but you first need to connect it to WIFI and download the Roomba app.
If you would like to learn more about your Roomba vacuum, check out this article.