Since they were established in 2009, Zmodo has been a home security option for people who don’t want to break the bank. They offer comprehensive security cameras at a low price, but do you need to have a subscription to use their devices and services?
You can use Zmodo products without being required to pay a subscription. However, if you would like to use cloud storage to keep recordings and access specific features like editing clips and enabling AI object detection, you will need the subscription.
Zmodo is a great option for security, it’s easy to install, and it is affordable; you just pay for the cost of the equipment—unless you want to pay for a cloud storage subscription. Below, we’ll cover the Zmodo subscription and the features it comes with, as well as whether you have to have one to get the most out of your devices.
Zmodo Security Features with a Subscription
Without the subscription, you still get access to Zmodo cameras’ many features:
- Zmodo offers 1080p HD resolution on all of their indoor cameras, and except for their Torch 360 camera, the outdoor cameras all have infrared night vision.
- All of the cameras are battery-powered and do not require any electrical work to use. Installing them outside might require some screws, but that’s about as difficult as the installation is.
- Like many other brands, Zmodo has incorporated smart home technology, so you can link most (if not all) of their products with Alexa or Google Assistant. However, some users have said they work better with Google Assistant than Alexa.
If you choose to pay for a subscription, you can add cloud storage; recording history will be saved to the cloud and can be accessed when needed. With the subscription, you will also be able to enable AI-enabled object detection for a single device.
What Subscription Plans Does Zmodo Offer?
Zmodo offers a few options for subscriptions:
|Basic Plan||7-Day Plan||30-Day Plan|
|Price||Free||$4.99/month or $49.99/year||$9.99/month or $99.99/year|
|Features||With the basic plan, you will have alert clips for the previous 12 hours.||The 7-day plan offers continuous cloud recordings for 7 days, 7 days of alert clip storage, motion detection zones set by user, video editor and time-lapse clips, AI-enabled object detection, and features for a single camera.||The 30-day plan includes 30 days of continuous cloud recordings and alert clip storage, motion detection zones set by the user, AI-enabled object detection, and features for a single camera.|
Key subscription features:
- AI (Artificial Intelligence) object detection helps monitor what is going on when you are not home, such as seeing what your kids or pets are up to, as well as keeping an eye on the outside of your home.
- The video editing option makes it simple to edit and share videos—this is useful in the event that users need to provide evidence to the police.
Which Zmodo Devices Are Compatible with the Subscription?
All of Zmodo’s cameras and certain devices are compatible with any of the subscription options and features mentioned above:
|N-Channel Business Security System||$2,199.99|
|Z-Modo Snap PT||$199.00|
|1080p Indoor/Outdoor Camera (4 Pack)||$179.99|
|Z-Modo Torch 360||$90.99|
|1080p Indoor/Outdoor Camera (2 Pack)||$89.99|
|1080p Indoor/Outdoor Camera (3 Pack)||$89.99|
|Pivot Cloud Camera||$83.99|
|Sight 180 Camera||$79.00|
|Greet Lite Video Doorbell||$59.99|
|Sight 180 C Camera 0||$55.30|
|720p Indoor Camera||$41.99|
|1080p Indoor/Outdoor Camera||$39.99|
|New Door/Window Sensor (2 Pack)||$39.00|
Zmodo Subscriptions vs. Other Brands
Compared to other brands, the Zmodo subscription plans are one of the lowest-cost options. As you already know, Zmodo offers a Free Basic plan, $4.99 a month ($49.99 a year) for their 7 Day Plan and 30 Day Plan for $9.99 a month or $99.99 a year. However, as far as comparable home security subscriptions go:
- Without purchasing a subscription to Ring, you cannot record any footage, although you can receive notifications about your cameras. For $3 a month or $30 a year, you have video recording for one device. For $10 a month, or $100 a year, you have video recording for all devices as well as 24/7 monitoring of your Ring Alarm.
- With Wyze, you get 12 seconds of video length with their free plan. For $1.25 a month, you get an unlimited recording length.
- Eufy offers free self-monitoring without a charge. For more storage, you can choose the Basic Cloud Storage plan for $2.99 a month or $29.99 a year that includes 30 days of rolling storage. The Premier Cloud Storage plan is $9.99 a month or $99.99 a year and offers 30 days of rolling storage for up to ten devices.
Zmodo is an inexpensive brand for home security, with their subscription options for cloud storage also low-cost. Although the subscription is not required to own and take advantage of Zmodo’s products and features, it is handy if you need extra cloud storage space for camera recordings.