Wyze’s smart lock was released in December 2019. When a new smart home product hits the market, the first thing I want to know is if I can voice-control the product using my Amazon Alexa devices, so, of course, I had to find out if Wyze Lock works with Alexa.
Does Wyze Lock Work with Alexa? As of March 2020 Wyze Lock works with Amazon Alexa devices. Wyze Lock owners can lock and unlock their doors using their voice or the Alexa app. To unlock a Wyze lock using voice commands, users will need their 4-digit unlock PIN.
To use this new voice-control option, you will need to know how to connect your Wyze Lock to your Alexa and what voice commands you can use to control your Wyze Lock.
Wyze Lock Works with Alexa
Wyze Lock is compatible with Amazon Echo devices. Once connected, you can use your voice to lock and unlock your door anytime.
The integration of these two products is beneficial in many scenarios. For example, if you are working from home and a service person such as a dog walker arrives, you can use your voice to unlock the door for them and avoid having to step away from your work. You can even lock the door with your voice when they leave.
If you are on a phone call when someone arrives at your door and you aren’t able to use a voice command, you can also lock and unlock your door using the Alexa app. Go to Devices and select your Wyze Lock.
Connecting Wyze Lock and Alexa
Follow these steps to connect your Wyze Lock and your Echo device(s):
- Open the Alexa app on your phone or tablet and go to Skills to enable the Wyze skill.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to link your Wyze account to Alexa. You will need to enter your Wyze username and password, so have them handy.
- Select “Add Device” and your Wyze Lock will be added in your Alexa app.
If you already have another Wyze device such as Wyze Cam V2 or Wyze Bulb connected to your Alexa account, you can also link your Wyze Lock using the voice command “[Wake word, discover my devices”.
Using Wyze Lock with Alexa
Wyze Lock integration with Alexa allows you to lock your door after you are already snuggled into bed without having to get back up. All you have to do is say “[Wake word], lock the [name of Wyze lock]”.
You can also unlock your door by saying “[Wake word], unlock the [name of Wyze lock]”. Your Echo will ask for your 4-digit unlock PIN. Respond by voice and the door will unlock.
Keep in mind that if you change the name of your Wyze Lock, you will need to reconnect the lock in the Alexa app or voice commands will not work.
Wyze Lock Features
Wyze’s wireless smart lock uses four AA batteries which Wyze estimates should be replaced every four months. The lock has some impressive features.
- You can lock and unlock your door remotely from anywhere using the Wyze app.
- The lock connects to both your home’s Wi-Fi network and your phone’s Bluetooth. This means that if your Wi-Fi goes out for any reason, you can still lock and unlock your door with your phone.
- It has a built-in door position sensor. You can find out if your door is open or closed at any time in the Wyze app.
- You can install it onto your door’s existing deadbolt. Check this link to ensure your deadbolt is compatible with Wyze Lock. Then, watch this video to install your Wyze Lock.
- You can still use your keys to lock and unlock your door the old school way.
At this time, Wyze Lock does not have a keypad, but they have plans to release one in 2020. It will be available for purchase as an addition to the smart lock.
Wyze Lock does not currently work with Google Home devices, but this feature is also expected to be added in 2020.
Other Wyze Products
Wyze offers several wireless security cameras and other smart home devices. Here’s a full list of their products:
- Wyze Cam
- Wyze Cam V2
- Wyze Cam Pan
- Wyze Lock
- Wyze Bulb
- Wyze Plug
- Wyze Sensor
- Smart Home Starter Pack
Wyze Cam has limited compatibility with Amazon Alexa and Google Home devices. The original Wyze Cam does not support voice control. Voice control is available with the Wyze Cam V2 and Cam Pan on the following home assistants with screens:
- Echo Show
- Echo Spot
- Fire TV
- Google Nest Home Hub
- Chromecast-enabled devices
Using voice control, you can view the camera’s live stream for up to ten minutes. Say “[Wake word, show me [device name]”. You cannot hear the camera’s audio or talk through the camera using these voice-assisted devices.
Wyze smart plugs and bulbs can also be turned on and off with voice commands. Click here for a list of Wyze Bulb voice commands for Alexa.