Does the Ring Stick-Up Cam Need Wi-Fi?
Ring’s products, such as the Ring Stick-Up Cam, have transformed the home security industry. Instead of spending thousands of dollars or monthly fees on a third-party security system, users can take their home’s security into their own hands. But the big question is: can the Ring Stick-Up Cam work without Wi-Fi?
The standard Ring Stick-Up Cam does require a consistent Wi-Fi connection to work. However, the Ring Stick-Up Cam Elite does not need Wi-Fi; it relies on an ethernet connection instead.
Continue reading to learn more about what you can and can’t do without an internet connection with your Ring Stick-Up Cam, despite which model you have.
Is Wi-Fi Required to Use the Ring Stick-Up Cam?
To access all of your Ring Stick-Up Cam’s features, you need a Wi-Fi connection.
Here’s what you need to know about using the Ring Stick-Up Cam with Wi-Fi:
- Your Ring Camera must be within 30 feet of your router to work. If you want to place it farther away, you should consider purchasing a Wi-Fi extender, like the NETGEAR Wi-Fi Range Extender EX6120.
- Your Ring Camera needs at least 2 Mbps to work. If you’re not getting a solid connection, try moving the camera closer to the router. Alternatively, you should click here to test your internet speed. If it’s lower than 2 Mbps, you won’t get the best user experience.
- You can turn your phone into a mobile hotspot and connect your Ring Camera from there. Keep in mind that you could incur additional charges if you go over your data plan.
- If your router stops working or your home loses power, your Ring Stick-Up Cam will automatically reconnect to the internet once it becomes available.
Do All Ring Stick-Up Cam Models Require Wi-Fi?
The Ring Stick-Up Cam Elite doesn’t rely on your router’s internet signal or Wi-Fi to work. Instead, it relies on a grounded ethernet connection. By having a solid connection, you’ll experience fewer lags and outages.
Contact your service provider if you’re unsure whether your router’s ethernet ports work. Some Wi-Fi plans do not include ethernet connections.
What Does the Ring Stick-Up Cam Need Internet For?
Whether you purchased the standard Ring Stick-Up Cam or the Ring Stick-Up Cam Elite, you need an internet connection to access all of the device’s features, such as:
- Viewing live footage
- Accessing saved footage
- Getting alerts on your phone
- Configuring privacy settings
- Sharing information with other users
Without an internet connection (either via Wi-Fi or ethernet), you won’t access any of these features. Your Ring Stick-Up Cam will be a decorative piece, and that’s about it.
How to Connect Ring Stick-Up Cam Elite to Internet
Connecting your Ring Stick-Up Cam Elite using an ethernet cable is easy. Simply power on your device, plug the device into the wall using an ethernet cord, and you’re good to go. If you have any questions about this process, check out this article on Ring’s website.
How to Connect Ring Stick-Up Camera to Wi-Fi
You might be on this page because you’re having a hard time connecting your Ring Stick-Up Cam to the internet. Before proceeding to the troubleshooting section, follow these steps:
- Download the Ring app.
- Check for any updates.
- Open the Ring app.
- Create an account or log in.
- Make sure your Ring Stick-Up Cam is on.
- Tap the three lines on the top left-hand side.
- Choose “Set Up a Device.”
- Select “Security Cams.”
- Scan the QR code on the device with your phone.
- Follow the prompts on the screen.
What happens next depends on what type of phone you have. If you have an Android, your camera will automatically connect to the internet. If you have an iPhone, you’ll go into your phone’s settings and connect your device to the connection that says “RING,” followed by six digits.
Troubleshooting Ring Stick-Up Cam’s Wi-Fi Connection
If you followed the steps above and you’re still having problems connecting to the internet, try resetting your Stick-Up Camera. You can do this by following these steps:
- Open the cover on the back of the camera.
- Hold down on the orange button for 20 seconds.
- Release the button.
Now, the light on the camera will flash for a few minutes. Once it stops, you’ve successfully reset your device. It’ll be as though you’re unboxing it for the first time.
If you reset your camera but still can’t connect to the internet, you should:
- Move your camera closer to the router.
- Make sure that no obstructions prevent your router and camera from pairing.
- Check your Wi-Fi signal.
If you have a lot of smart home devices connected to the router, you might not have a lot of bandwidth. Basically, the more devices you have connected to the internet, the less bandwidth it’ll have to connect other devices.
A Final Word
Your Ring Stick-Up Cam needs an internet connection. However, whether it needs Wi-Fi depends on what model you purchased. If you don’t have a constant internet connection, your camera becomes useless.