The Honeywell T9 Thermostat is an excellent addition to any smart home because it allows you to uniquely design the temperature of every room. With the Smart Room Sensors, everyone in your house can have their ideal temperature. If you own the T9 or are thinking of buying one, you might be wondering if it will work with Alexa.
With the newest update of the Honeywell Home app, the T9 thermostat works with Alexa. It also works with the T9’s room temperature sensors. By syncing Alexa with the Honeywell app, users can control any room’s temperature with a simple voice command.
You might still be wondering exactly how to link the thermostat with Alexa. Below, we will go over all the steps to connect the Honeywell T9 Thermostat with Alexa and cover a few troubleshooting steps in case you run into any issues.
Does the Honeywell T9 Thermostat Work with Alexa?
All the T-series thermostats made by Honeywell work with Alexa, including the T9. You will need to have the thermostat completely installed and connected to Wi-Fi before setting it up with Alexa.
After installing, download the Honeywell Home app on the Apple or Google Play Store. To add your thermostat to the Honeywell Home App, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the thermostat until the screen changes.
- Open the Honeywell App.
- Login to your account.
- Select T9 Thermostat.
- Select Yes when it asks if the thermostat is on the wall.
- Press No when it asks if the thermostat is showing a temperature.
- A network name should now be showing on your thermostat.
- Follow the steps to connect it to Wi-Fi.
- Enter in the 4-digit code showing on the thermostat screen.
Your thermostat should now show when you open the Honeywell Home app and be ready to link to Alexa.
Note: Honeywell Home app used to be called the Honeywell Lyric App. They work the same, but the Home app has many added features such as geo sensing and better performance.
To set up T9 thermostat with Alexa, follow these steps:
- Open the Amazon Alexa app on your phone or smart device.
- Tap the menu icon.
- Tap Skills & Games.
- Tap the magnifying glass and search for Honeywell Thermostat.
- Select the model you own.
- Select Enable Skill.
When using the skill, you need to use the name of the sensor or thermostat and/or the specific room it’s in for Alexa to take the right action. For example, say, “Alexa, decrease living room thermostat by 2 degrees.”
All your sensors or thermostats should have names in the Honeywell Home app, but feel free to change them.
You can also create groups for them to make giving Alexa voice commands easier:
- Open the Alexa app.
- Select the + icon.
- Tap Add Group.
- Create custom names or select one of the pre-set ones.
- Select Next when you’re done.
- Select the device or devices you want to include.
- Press Save.
Now you can give voice commands to entire groups. For example, let’s say you named all the thermostats upstairs “Upstairs Thermostats.” Now you can say, “Alexa, set upstairs thermostats to 72 degrees.”
How to Control Honeywell T9 Thermostat with Alexa
Once you have the thermostat and Alexa connected, you can control your home’s temperature with a variety of commands.
Try out of some these:
- Alexa, what is the dining room thermostat set to?
- Alexa set the living room thermostat to Cool Mode.
- Alexa set the kitchen thermostat to Heat Mode.
- Alexa, increase the kid’s bedroom thermostat to 73 degrees.
- Alexa, decrease the master bedroom’s thermostat to 75 degrees.
- Alexa set my thermostat to 71 degrees until 7 pm.
- Alexa, what temperature is the bedroom thermostat set to?
Alexa can respond to many commands; just make sure to always speak loudly and clearly.
What Isn’t My Honeywell T9 Thermostat Working with Alexa?
If you have tried to set up your Alexa and thermostat together, but they aren’t working, try some of the following troubleshooting steps:
- Make sure your Wi-Fi is on and is 2.4GHz.
- Ensure that the Alexa app is updated and connected to Wi-Fi.
- Check that your Honeywell App is updated and working.
- Try speaking slower and clearer to Alexa.
- Check the names of your thermostats and groups to ensure that you are calling them by the correct name.
- Reboot Alexa.
- Reboot the thermostat.
- Unplug your Wi-Fi and plug it back in.
The Honeywell T9 Thermostat is a fantastic smart home automation tool that can be used with Alexa. Use the Alexa app to enable the thermostat skill and set up names and groups for your thermostats. You can use a few simple commands to tell Alexa to increase or decrease your home’s temperature settings.