When it comes to the smart home tech we choose to help us run our lives, it’s important to consider all the factors that go into choosing a new device. After all, smart tech is supposed to make our lives easier! For our tech to do that, we have to look into how a new device is going to work in our home.
One of the most important things you need to consider is whether or not you want a wireless option for your doorbell. While both have their benefits, you have to think about what is best for your home and lifestyle, and hunting down that information can be a real hassle!
Don’t worry, we’re here to help you out. We’ve researched for you and we’re here to answer the question of whether the Arlo Video Doorbell has to be wired, as well as breaking down the benefits of both a wired and wireless option to help you decide what is right for your home. Let’s get into it!
Wiring Arlo Doorbell
The Arlo Essential Video Doorbell can be used both in a wired and wireless configuration.
Okay, so that answers our initial question, but what else do we need to know about the Essential Video Doorbell? Turns out there’s a lot more to this Doorbell t’han we thought! Keep reading to learn more about the Arlo Essential Video Doorbell and how it can be a real help to your home!
Features Of The Arlo Essential Video Doorbell
The Arlo Essential Doorbell has a ton of features to help you monitor your home, both in a wireless and wired configuration. We’ve provided a list of the available features to give you an idea of how you can use the Essential Doorbell in your home below:
- Cloud storage
- 1080P Resolution, HDR
- Amazon Alexa And Google Assistant Integrated
- Two-Way Audio
- 12X Digital Zoom
- 180 Degree View
- Built-In Siren
- Emergency Call Response
- Pre-Recorded Message Option
- Person, Package, and Vehicle Detection
It is important to note that some of these features are options exclusive to those who have a subscription to one of the two available Arlo Smart Plans. In the next section, we’ll go into detail on both Smart Plan options and which services they each offer.
Smart Plan Details And Features
The first thing to note is that after the initial three-month trial period, you will require a subscription to a Smart Plan to retain cloud storage on your Essential Doorbell. Furthermore, the Essential Doorbell does not have an internal storage feature, so to access past video you will need a subscription to do so via cloud storage.
Another feature of the Smart Plan to keep in mind is that it provides you with 10% off your purchase of Arlo devices on their website. This applies to both Plans and is a great option if you want to add more Arlo devices to your smart home security.
We have provided a short breakdown of both plans for you below:
- Arlo Secure: The Arlo Secure Plan is $9.99/mo for unlimited devices and $2.99/mo for individual devices. It offers up to 2K Video Resolution and 30 Day Video Storage via the cloud. All other plan features are included with the exception of Emergency Response.
- Arlo Secure Plus: The Arlo Secure Plus plan offers only one payment option for unlimited devices at $14.99/mo. This comes with all available features, up to 4K Video Resolution, and the same 30 Day Video Storage.
Arlo Essential Video Doorbell And Wifi
The best feature of the Arlo Video Doorbell in both its wireless and wired configurations has to be the quick and easy connection to your wifi. Arlo products are able to use Wifi Direct to connect to your wifi the way your cell phone does, with no hub required to use. To do this, download the Arlo App and simply follow the in-app instructions to connect to your wifi.
It is important to note that there are a few things to keep in mind to optimize the connection to your wifi:
- The minimum recommended distance from your Doorbell to your router is 6 ½ feet, but no more than 10 feet.
- Some building materials like brick or concrete, or items like fish tanks, can interfere with the signal from your router. Check your user’s manual for more information on what materials can interfere with your wifi signal to optimize your connection.
In this article, we have provided the answer to the question of whether the Arlo Video Doorbell has a wireless option, and the answer is yes! The Arlo Essential Doorbell comes in a wireless version and provides many excellent features comparable to the wired option to keep your home safe as well!