Does Ring Spotlight Cam Work with Google Home? (Including IFTTT)
The Ring Spotlight Cam is a fantastic way to keep track of who or what is coming and going from your home. It can also be used as a tool to talk to people who may ring your doorbell. With so many smart home integrations available, you’re probably wondering if the Ring Spotlight Cam works with the Google Home or IFTTT.
The Ring Spotlight Cam works with Google Home via Google’s voice assistant. Google Home can also be used to command the camera to turn certain features on and off. The Ring Spotlight Cam also works with IFTTT so that you can connect the device to dozens of other devices and software.
Below, we’ll cover how the Ring Spotlight Cam works with Google Home and what additional features it gives you. We’ll also discuss how to set it up and use IFTTT to make the integration between devices much easier.
How to Integrate Ring Spotlight Cam with Google Home
By setting connecting Google Home to your Ring Spotlight Cam in the Ring app, you can begin using Google Home as a voice command center for your device. Before getting started, make sure you have downloaded the Google Home app, the Google Assistant App, and the Ring app. All apps are available for iOS and Androids.
Follow these steps to integrate Google Home with Ring:
- Open the Google Assistant Ring services web page on your laptop or computer.
- On the top right corner, select Send to Device.
- In the drop-down menu, choose the Google Home device that you want to connect to the Ring.
- You should receive a notification on your phone giving you a link to start the setup process.
- Tap the notification and enter in your Ring username and password.
- Follow the prompts and questions.
- After the last prompt, your devices should be connected.
If you don’t have a laptop or computer, you can open the Google Assistant Ring services page on your smartphone. It should then open the directions in the Google Assistant app. From there, all the directions from above are the same.
Using Your Ring Spotlight Cam with Google Home
After following the steps above, you should give Google Home a few test commands to ensure the setup process worked correctly. You should be able to talk to the Ring camera via Google Home.
Start by saying, “Hey Google, talk to Ring.” Then try some of the following commands or questions:
- What is the status/health of the doorbell?
- When was the last time the doorbell rang?
- Turn Ring alerts on/off.
- Start recording video.
- Turn motion alerts on/off.
Remember that Ring devices are owned by Amazon, so the preferred voice assistant is Amazon Alexa. Since Google and Amazon are technically competitors, not all the same features are available through Google Home that you could get with Alexa.
- You can’t cast Ring videos onto Google Chromecast.
- You can’t view videos from the Ring on a Google Home Hub
Basically, Google Home only works as a voice assistant and command center.
Can I Use Google Home and Ring with IFTTT?
If you own a Google Home and want to connect it to the Ring Spotlight Cam or some other Ring devices, you might be wondering if you can do it through IFTTT.
Google Home and Ring can both be linked through IFTTT. If you’re new to IFTTT software, it stands for If This Then That. It is a simple web-based service that allows all users to create chains of commands through different devices and services. It may sound complicated, but to get started, all you have to do is download the IFTTT app and link it to your Ring account.
To link Ring to IFTTT, follow these steps:
- Go to IFTTT’s website.
- Sing into your IFTTT account or make a new one.
- In the search box, type in Ring Spotlight Cam.
- Click Connect.
- Sign in to your Ring account.
To connect Google Home to IFTTT, follow these tips:
- Go to IFTTT.com
- Sign in to your account or create a new one.
- At the top right, click Search.
- Select Google Assistant.
- Click Connect.
- Choose the Google account that you used to set up Google Home.
IFTTT can make it easier to use all the smart home devices together at the same time.
Ring Spotlight Cam be easily connected to Google Home and used as a voice assistant; however, other features are limited. The Ring Spotlight Cam and Google Home can also all be connected through the IFTTT app to make smart home automation easier than ever before.