No matter where you are in your Smart Home experience, you may have heard some of the benefits of the smart video doorbell. They allow you to monitor who’s at your front door even when you’re not at home. However, if you’re new to Smart Home technology, it can often be a challenge to get everything up and running properly.
Can the Ring Doorbell work without being connected to the internet? The Ring Doorbell will not be able to access certain smart features if it is not connected to a strong WiFi network. These smart features include:
- Push notifications to your smartphone
- Live video feed
- Remote control of your device
This article will go over some things you should know about the Ring Video Doorbell, as well as some easy setup instructions.
Does the Ring Doorbell Need a WiFi Connection to Work?
To access the smart features on your Ring Doorbell, you need a strong internet connection. Without it, the device has no way to share data and other information with the app on your phone.
You won’t be able to access the live streaming or push notifications when there is movement detected. Other smart features like remote control of your device also require an internet connection.
If you need to boost your WiFi, consider the Ring Chime Pro (Amazon) which boosts your WiFi up to 2,000 sq ft!
Use a Portable Hotspot if You Don’t Have a WiFi Network to Connect to
You can also connect your Ring doorbell to a WiFi hotspot if you don’t have access to a full wireless network from a router. The device will be able to function properly when connected to a hotspot.
Why Does my Ring Doorbell keep going offline? We cover the details here.
Portable 4G hotspots allow you to access smart features like the live feed and push notifications. However, before you connect your device to such a network, make sure to consider your data usage. This method will consume a lot of your cellular data if you use it for frequent watching of the live feed.
How the Ring Doorbell Works without Internet
If you do not have a WiFi signal, or if your signal is too weak, you can still use your Ring Doorbell in the traditional manner. You can connect your Ring Doorbell to your existing wired doorbell. That way, you’ll be able to hear the “ding, dong” when someone is at your front door.
If you already have a traditional doorbell installed in your home, you can use this connection to install your smart doorbell directly. Here’s how:
- Complete setup for the Ring app on your phone.
- Shut off your power and remove your existing doorbell. (You’ll need a transformer with a voltage of 8-24 VAC when you connect your Ring to the existing doorbell.)
- Line up your Ring Doorbell carefully. Install the doorbell to its ideal height. Mark the places where the mounting holes will go with a pencil.
- Use a power drill to make holes where you just marked. If the front of your home is brick, concrete, or stucco, use the provided plastic anchors in the wall.
- If the existing doorbell is a digital one, install the included diode. (Installing the diode on a mechanical doorbell may damage it.)
- Use the two wires coming from your door and connect them to the two screws on the base plate.
- Install your Ring Doorbell over the holes.
- Feed the wires into your wall and make sure your Ring is secured with screws.
- Use the provided screwdriver bit to screw in the two security screws on the bottom of your device.
How long does the Ring battery last? Learn more here.
How Can I Tell if My Ring Doorbell Is Connected to the Internet?
One of the most important aspects of using your Ring Doorbell to its full capabilities is making sure it’s connected to a strong WiFi network. You can run a connectivity test in the Ring app to make sure the signal you’re getting is at its optimal strength.
- In the Ring app, select the device you’d like to run the test on.
- Tap Device Health.
- Select Connectivity Test to monitor your device’s access to a good signal.
You’ll see the following results:
- Device to Cloud measures the strength of your device’s WiFi connection. Possible results will be Red (multiple factors are interfering with a strong connection), Yellow (there may be a couple of factors affecting your connection), or Green (strong signal and connection)
- Phone to Cloud measures the strength of your phone’s connection to the internet. If your connection is weak, it can cause issues with mobile functions and the Ring app. Possible results will be Red (your phone is having trouble connecting to your device), Yellow (the connection is weak), or Green (you have a strong signal).
If you lost connection to your WiFi network and your device goes offline, it can be for a variety of reasons:
- A power surge caused some problems with your router.
- You temporarily lost power.
- A wire in your router’s setup became loose.
- You changed the WiFi password.
- Your device does not have sufficient power.
Don’t worry if these conditions occur—they are temporary issues. This means that once you resolve the issue at hand, your device should be able to reconnect to a wireless network successfully.
Connecting Your Ring Doorbell to a Wireless Network
To get the most out of your experience with the Ring video doorbell, you should connect it to your home’s WiFi network during setup. This wireless setup is quick and easy; you don’t have to connect your device to a computer or even power for its initial setup.
When you first set up your device and the app on your phone, it will try to connect to the WiFi network. iOS users must select Join when asked to join the Ring WiFi network. Android devices should automatically connect to the network.
If the device doesn’t automatically connect to your wireless network, you can follow these steps on your smartphone:
- Press the Home button to leave the Ring app.
- In your Settings, select WiFi.
- Select the Ring network from the list of available networks. It will appear as “Ring” followed by either the last six or two digits of the MAC ID.
- Once you’re connected, return to the Ring app.
- Select your WiFi network.
- Enter the WiFi password and tap Continue.
After you connect your device to the WiFi network, it may perform an update on its internal software. While this happens, the light on the front of the device will flash white. When the light is done flashing, you’ll know the update is complete, and you can continue using your device as normal.
How far can Ring Doorbell See or Hear? Find out the answer here.
What Should I Do if My WiFi Signal Is Too Weak for My Ring Doorbell?
If your wireless network is too weak or does not reach your device, it’s a great idea to get a WiFi range extender. This is a stand-alone unit that expands the reach of your home’s WiFi network. It is designed to repeat your signal over a greater distance.
These devices are easy to connect. A great tip is to place your WiFi range extender near your Ring Doorbell to ensure a strong signal.
After you perform all these tests and tasks to ensure your device is properly connected to your WiFi network, it’s best to test it. Press the button on your video doorbell to test a call. This will initiate the software on your device and ensure that it’s ready to use.
Get Help on Your Smart Home Journey
If you have any more issues setting up your device, don’t worry. Ring provides 24/7 customer support. When you need assistance, you can give them a call, and they will walk you through troubleshooting your device’s issues.
Ring and other companies like them are manufacturing tools and devices that can help us all stay a little more connected to our homes. They allow for more possibilities when it comes to home security and wireless connectivity. To grow your home’s Smart technology opportunities, learn more about the products you could add to your household.