When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Many people are adding smart lighting to their homes to automate their lamps, ceiling lights, and more. These convenient tools allow you to control lighting with your voice or when you’re away from home. The Philips Hue Motion Sensor is another great tool you can add to your setup to turn on your lights simply by walking into a room.
Does the Philips Hue Motion Sensor work with Alexa or Google Home? The Philips Hue Motion Sensor is available to connect to Alexa devices. However, neither Alexa nor Google Home allows for voice control of your motion sensor.
Read on to learn more about the Philips Hue Motion Sensor and how it works with the smart devices in your home.
Does the Philips Hue Motion Sensor Work with Alexa or Google Home?
The Philips Hue Motion Sensor is a trigger automation device that will turn smart lights off and on when it detects motion. This battery-powered device is easy to set up and can connect to many smart home devices like Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant. However, the voice commands you can use for the Hue Motion Sensor are limited.
Essentially, you can use Alexa or Google Home devices to control the lights in your home with voice commands that will:
- Turn your smart lights on or off
- Brighten or dim lights
- Set a scene with your lighting, like adjusting the color temperature
Connecting your Philips Hue Motion Sensor and Philips smart light bulbs to your smart home devices require a connection to a Philips Hue Bridge, which is not included when you purchase the Hue Motion Sensor. This Bridge will help you connect up to 50 smart lights in your home, as well as many other smart accessories like a light dimmer.
We know Philips Hue Bulbs are awesome. Find out exactly how their bulbs can save you money.
Connecting Your Philips Hue Motion Sensor to Your Alexa Device
To connect your Philips Hue Motion Sensor to your Alexa smart speaker, start by purchasing the Philips Hue Bridge. You can also buy the Hue Starter Kit, which includes the Bridge and a Light Dimmer to control the color and temperature of your lights, among other helpful tools. The Hue Bridge sends a WiFi connection to your Philips products.
Follow these steps to connect your Hue Motion Sensor to your Amazon Alexa device:
- Set up your Amazon Alexa smart speaker by downloading the Alexa app on your smartphone and completing the setup instructions. This will connect your device to your WiFi network.
- Place your Alexa device in a convenient location where you can control it with your voice. For instance, if your smart lights are in your main living area, you want your smart speaker to be within earshot of you sitting on the couch.
- Plug in the Philips Hue Bridge to your router with the ethernet cable included in your starter kit. This will connect all of your Philips smart bulbs and Motion Sensor to your WiFi network.
- Next, install your smart lights and the Hue Motion Sensor. You can easily mount the device anywhere to detect motion. Sit in on a shelf, mount it to a wall, or place it on a magnetic surface by using the included magnet.
- To connect the motion sensor to your Alexa device, make sure the Philips Hue Motion sensor is in pairing mode in the Hue app.
Now, you are all set up and connected. You should be able to control the lights in your home with your voice. You can use the Hue app on your smartphone to adjust your settings for routines, customized lighting scenes, timers, and more. It also comes with fun lighting presets like Read mode to set the lights based on your mood or activity.
Are you curious if the LIFX bulbs and Philips Hue Bulbs can work together? Read our post here to learn more.
Although the Hue Motion Sensor can connect to your Alexa device, there are some limitations on what you can do with it. You cannot activate an Alexa Routine with the Hue Motion Sensor. But, because the Motion Sensor shows up in the Alexa app, that may indicate there may be updates and added support for this device soon.
Philips Hue Motion Sensor and Google Home
Like your Amazon Alexa devices, connection to Google Home is also limited for the Hue Motion Sensor. However, you can still connect your smart lights to your Google Home through the Philips Hue Bridge to control the lighting in your home.
Learn How to Connect All Your Home’s Devices
Smart lighting is a useful addition to your home. They allow you to control the intensity and color of your lighting to create whatever mood you want. After you finish setting up your smart lighting, make sure to come back and continue reading about more smart technology you can include in your home. Our modern age has introduced us to endless options for connecting our many devices, and they’re all pretty easy to set up and use!