Does Oura Ring Work In Airplane Mode?
The Oura Ring is a great device that can monitor your health when you are on the go. It is a smart ring with many cool features, such as monitoring your oxygen, heart rate, and sleep. When traveling with the ring, since it does use the internet to stay connected, users often wonder, does Oura Ring work in airplane mode?
The Oura Ring has limited function in airplane mode. Meaning when airplane mode is on, you can continue to use the Oura Ring to track your health. When the Bluetooth is turned back on, the Oura Ring will talk to the app on a mobile device and update the information it gathered during the flight.
Now that you know you can travel with ease with your Oura Ring, keep reading to find out how to put the Oura Ring into airplane mode, what airplane mode does, and how to troubleshoot the ring if it is not responding appropriately.
Using Airplane Mode with Oura Ring
Airplane mode is used to turn off Bluetooth on a device so that the signal does not interfere with the plane’s technologies while in the air. It is safest to fly with all electronics in airplane mode, including the Oura Ring. If you have never placed the ring into airplane mode, follow these easy steps to accomplish this:
- Press the two circles, also known as the ring icon, twice. It should be located in the top right corner of the Home tab.
- Look for the icon listed as ‘Ring airplane mode.’
- Press on, and it will go into airplane mode.
When the ring is in airplane mode, it will continue to monitor your vitals and record the information for a few days. It will store it until the airplane mode on the ring is disabled. Once airplane mode is disabled, the data will be added to the app on a mobile device. Here are the steps to take to disable the airplane mode:
- Grab out your ring’s charger
- Plug the charger into a power source
- Place the Oura Ring onto the charger
- Wait a few moments for the app to connect to the ring while it is on the charger
- Open the Oura App, then close it, and reopen it again
- The ring should be disconnected from Airplane mode.
There is no easier way to disconnect the Oura ring from airplane mode. Most people have to wait until they get to their destination to turn off this function. Although it can be cumbersome, the positive aspect is that the data will still sync to the app from when it was in airplane mode. Users will not lose data if they do this the same day or shortly after their airplane trip.
What Oura Does in Airplane Mode
Some people are wary about airplane mode and consider leaving the Oura ring home when they go on a trip. If a user does this, they miss out on key data about their health that they could be collecting and using to better themselves. It also removes the convenience of notifications when a certain stat drops to an abnormal level.
When airplane mode is enabled on the Oura ring, it removes all the radio transmissions that the ring uses to speak to the app through Bluetooth. This means that the app will no longer be able to update itself with the data the ring collects over time. Data is instead stored in the ring’s storage until it can emit the radio transmission again.
Oura Ring Won’t Enable Airplane Mode
If you are about to go on a trip and the Oura ring won’t switch into airplane mode, you may be in an absolute panic. The best way to fix this is to factory reset the ring. The data on the ring will be removed, but the data in the app will stay put. Here is how to do the reset:
- Grab your smartphone
- Open the Oura App on the smartphone
- Select the three vertical bars at the top left corner; this is also known as the menu button.
- Select “Settings”
- Select “Back Up All Data”
- Once data is backed up, select the “X” button
- Select the ring button on the top right corner
- Swipe left on the screen
- Select “Factory Reset”
The ring will begin the factory reset process. While this works great, users still need to go a step further to ensure everything functions properly. After the initial ring resets, do the following:
- Open your smartphone’s settings menu
- Go to the Bluetooth option and select it
- Find the Oura ring that is connected to the phone
- Remove the Oura ring from the list of paired devices
- Go back to the Oura app
The ring will then begin to act as if it was just bought and needs to be paired all over again. Continue through the setup process to pair the ring to the phone. The airplane mode should begin to work properly once more.
Now that you know you are safe to board a plane with your Oura ring, book the flight, and travel. Seeing the world is an exciting adventure. Paired with the Oura ring, you will be able to monitor your health and enjoy the scenery.