Nest is the main company in producing smart home devices. It is easily said that it’s one of the best smart video doorbells that are currently in the market. But, if you have a HomeKit ecosystem in your home, you might be wondering if it is possible to connect the two together.
Unfortunately, Nest Hello does not provide integration between HomeKit and the Nest Hello doorbell. However, the Nest Hello can work with the Apple HomeKit using a device or Homebridge hub.
Keep reading to learn how to connect the two together.
How to Connect Nest Hello With HomeKit
There are two ways in which you can connect your Nest Hello with the Apple HomeKit. These alternatives are Homebridge hub and Starling Home hub, which both work in comparable ways by connecting to your router. Although using Homebridge hub might be a bit difficult since it requires a computer that needs to run 24/7.
Once the hub is connected to your network, it will easily allow you to connect all your Nest devices with the Home app on your Apple device (iPhone or iPad).
Here we’ll show all features you need and how to connect the devices with these two methods.
How to Connect Nest Hello With HomeKit Using Homebridge Hub
If you decide to connect with Homebridge hub rather than Starling hum, here is some information you need to set up the process.
Items included in the Homebridge hub box:
- Micro-USB cable
- HOOBS box
- US or EU power adaptor
- Ethernet cable
Now, let’s look at the instructions.
Here are the following instructions:
- Use the Ethernet cable found in the box and connect the homebridge hub to your router. You could also connect it to your Wi-Fi.
- Open your browser and search for hoobs.local on the same network the Ethernet cable is connected to and follow the set-up instructions.
- Wait around 5 minutes for the device to initialize on the first installation, before the set-up screen pops up.
- After you have completed the set-up, you’ll see the dashboard of the HOOBs. Use your iPhone and go to the Home app, you’ll see a QR code on the dashboard. Use your phone to scan to connect the two.
- You’ll receive an alert on your phone. Accept the alert on your iPhone. Then the Homebridge hub is connected with HomeKit.
- Next, you need to connect the homebridge hub to your Google Home account. To do that, search in HOOBS for the Google home plug.
- Once you’ve found the result, you’ll need to put your Google Home account information to login. The account should be the same one that you use for your Nest Hello.
- Once you have logged into your Google Home account, the setup is finally completed and your Nest Hello device would appear in the Apple Home app.
Now, let’s look at using the Starling Hub.
How to Connect Nest Hello With HomeKit Using Starling Hub
We recommend using the Starling Hub method for connecting Nest Hello to HomeKit, this is because the process is much easier and doesn’t need the computer to be turned on 24/7.
Items needed in a Starling Home Hub
- Quick Start Guide
- 3 ft Ethernet cable for the router
- Micro-USB power supply
- Starling Home Hub
If you’d like to learn more about Nest Hello, check out this article. Now, let’s look at the instructions.
Here are the following instructions:
- Plug the starling hub with the USB power adaptor, and connect the Ethernet cable to the router.
- Open your browser and search on setup.starlinghome.io on the same network.
- Login to your Google Home account that you used for the Nest Hello doorbell.
- On your screen, a QR code would appear on your screen. Open your Home app on your iPhone, select ‘Add Accessory’ and scan the QR code.
- Your Nest Hello is now connected and can appear in the HomeKit.
Now the Nest Hello is connected with the HomeKit. Let’s see the functions it offers.
Things You Can and Cannot Do With the NEST Hello in HomeKit
Being that there is no official integration between the two devices, neither the Homebridge hub nor the Starling home hub method would result in a completely smooth experience, as you would see in a native integration.
Here are a few things of what you are and aren’t able to do once the setting up process is done.
You would be able to:
- Use the HomePod or other HomeKit speakers as a chime.
- Receive a notification of a motion detected and a doorbell ring with the HomeKit.
- Access in using the Siri command.
- Access to add your Nest Hello to your Apple Home app and control the doorbell settings with your Apple devices (iPhone, Apple watch, iPad or Mac).
- Watch live stream doorbell cam with the Home app.
Now, let’s see the setbacks.
You wouldn’t be able to Speak to people with the doorbell. You would need to use the Nest app for two-way audio.
Nest Hello devices can’t integrate with Apple HomeKit and there is no saying when Google and Apple would come up with a settlement in supporting the integration. This is because the two companies are direct competitors, explaining how Google owns android. Overall, it is possible to control the Nest Hello doorbell using the Apple HomeKit by an indirect technique, which works similar to a direct one.