Wi-Fi 6 is more than fast connections; it features increased bandwidth and security. It also conserves battery life, meaning your powered devices last longer. Released in 2019, Wi-Fi 6 is the latest generation in internet connections. With that said, you may be wondering whether this technology is available for smart devices like the Fire TV Cube.
Amazon Fire TV Cubes do not work with Wi-Fi 6; however, the newly released Fire TV 4K Max does. Amazon notes that this is the fastest generation device available.
With Wi-Fi 6, users will notice faster loading speeds, better picture resolution, and increased bandwidth. Continue reading to learn more about Wi-Fi 6 and how it enhances your streaming experience with Amazon Fire devices.
Why Won’t Fire TV Cubes Work with Wi-Fi 6?
As noted, Wi-Fi 6 is the latest generation internet speed; Wi-Fi 5 offered 6.1 Gpbs, while Wi-Fi 6 is 9.6 Gpbs. But can Fire TV Cubes handle the extra boost?
The hardware in Fire TV Cubes isn’t compatible with Wi-Fi 6. Amazon released the first generation Fire TV Cube in 2018 when Wi-Fi 5 was on the decline—but still popular. Just a year later, Amazon released the second-generation Fire TV Cube, which, according to many users, was nearly identical to the first release. Wi-Fi 6 came out at virtually the same time, so Amazon didn’t create these products to work with it.
However, the Fire TV 4K Max works with Wi-Fi 6 because it’s the newest generation Fire TV device––just like how Wi-Fi 6 is the newest generation internet version.
Can I Make My Amazon Fire TV Cube Work with Wi-Fi 6?
Wi-Fi 6 isn’t something you can buy in a store or download online. It comes pre-programmed on certain devices. Many devices produced within the last two years offer this type of connection.
Because the Amazon Fire TV Cube doesn’t have the appropriate hardware, you cannot make it work with Wi-Fi 6. But the thing is, you really don’t need it. You’ll still get quality resolution and access to its full suite of features.
Can Wi-Fi 6 Make the Connection with Fire TV Cube Faster?
You might wonder whether Wi-Fi 6 would make your Fire TV Cube work faster. While theoretically it would, as you already know, Fire TV Cube doesn’t work with Wi-Fi 6. However, if you want to increase your internet’s speed, you should consider:
- Upgrading to a better service plan. If your internet isn’t as fast as you would like, call your internet service provider. For a few extra dollars a month, you can upgrade to a faster connection. Your provider might even suggest getting a new router, which can improve your connection.
- Disconnect some of your smart home devices. Your router only has a certain amount of bandwidth––meaning it can only transmit data to a few devices at a time. If you have many devices connected at once, this can slow down your internet connection.
- Relocate your router. If possible, move your router to a high shelf on the north side of your house. Here, it’ll get the best possible connection.
- Reset your router. Resetting your router clears its cache and can increase your internet connectivity speed.
If your router is far away from your Fire TV Cube, consider purchasing a Wi-Fi extender. This can extend your router’s range and better your connection.
What Devices Have Wi-Fi 6?
Wi-Fi 6 isn’t necessarily something you can buy; it comes coded on certain devices. CNET notes that other devices that come with Wi-Fi 6 include:
- The second-generation iPhone SE
- iPhone 11 and up
- The Lenovo Yoga c490
- The LG Gram 17
- The Microsoft Surface Laptop Pro
- The eighth-generation iPad
- The fourth-generation iPad Air
But, if you’re specifically interested in Amazon Fire devices, if you get the Fire TV 4K Max, it already supports Wi-Fi 6.
How Can I Connect My Fire TV 4K Max to Wi-Fi 6?
When you use your Fire TV 4K Max for the first time, it’ll prompt you to connect to the router. Here, you can enter your information. If it doesn’t, however, you should:
- Navigate to the device’s menu.
- Go to “Settings.”
- Choose “Network.”
- Select your router’s name.
- Enter your login credentials.
If your device won’t connect to the internet, try restarting your router or making sure you enter the correct information. You may also consider contacting your service provider if you frequently experience disconnections.
A Final Word
Fire TV Cube does not have Wi-Fi 6, but you don’t need it to watch TV. To use Wi-Fi 6, you must purchase a Fire TV 4K Max. Keep in mind that Wi-Fi 6 is more than faster internet connections; it opens the door for increased bandwidth, heightened security, and much more.