Does Blink Replace Stolen Cameras?
The worst has happened: you were asleep in your home or away for the day, and you returned home to find that your Blink Doorbell or camera was stolen. This can be frustrating, especially after spending time and money converting your home into a smart home. When this happens, does Blink replace the stolen camera?
Blink has a protection policy, known as the Blink Courtesy Theft Replacement Policy, that covers the theft and vandalism of their products. They offer a replacement for stolen Blink devices free of charge, but only under certain conditions.
With this in mind, you can rest easy knowing Blink has your back if your camera is ever stolen. Keep reading to learn more about Blink’s replacement policy!
While outdoor cameras and doorbells are more susceptible to theft, even indoor cameras are at risk if there’s ever a break-in in your home. Originally, Blink’s one-year limited warranty did not apply to theft. But considering its user base, the Blink Courtesy Theft Replacement Policy was actualized. This means the burden of theft is no longer solely the customer’s responsibility to deal with.
As soon as you notice that your Blink camera was stolen, you will need to report it to your local police. Don’t move or touch anything around the area until police arrive. Then, to receive total compensation for your stolen Blink device, be sure to follow these steps carefully:
- Take down the officer’s name before they leave the scene. You will also want to obtain a copy of the police report as proof. Without a police report, you will not be eligible for replacement.
- Once you’re done dealing with the police, it’s time to contact Blink Support. You can email them through the Blink website or call them at (781) 332-5465.
- Provide the representative with a detailed explanation of the event.
- If you’re sending an email, attach a copy of the police report. If you’re talking on the phone, ask them how you should send your copy.
Note that all this must be done within 15 days of the theft. If you wait too long, you may miss your chance to get a free replacement.
As with any policy, the Blink Courtesy Theft Replacement Policy comes with legal agreements you must be aware of and agree to before proceeding. Read through all the terms and conditions before submitting your claim, but read below for the main considerations:
- Obtain a police report of the theft immediately, and open a Blink Support case within 15 working days of the incident.
- Within 14 working days of verifying the police report’s authenticity, and upon backing up your case, Blink will provide you with a replacement camera.
- It is within Blink’s right to deny approval of the request should they suspect any fowl or fraudulent means. Blink can also reject the bid for any reason they find fit and logical.
- Blink cameras are replaced like-for-like. This means you will get the same model that was stolen.
- Any decisions made by Blink in the Courtesy Theft Replacement Policy are final and binding.
Once both parties have made concessions, a replacement of the stolen Blink Camera can be made.
Although we cannot predict when an unfortunate incident like a robbery will occur, we can at least lessen the chances of it happening and protect our Blink Cameras. Some tips to keep in mind include:
- Hide the camera in plain sight
- Link your camera to Alexa
- Mount different cameras in view of each other
Below, we will go into more detail on each of these tips.
You should always place your Blink camera in an area that offers a good view. For added security, place it among other objects like desk accessories for indoor cams and pipes or gutters for outdoor cams. You can also choose different camera skins to help it blend in with its surroundings, making it more difficult to detect.
Using the Blink SmartHome Skill on the Alexa app, you can connect your Blink camera to an Echo device. With the right settings in place, Alexa will announce motion alerts detected through the camera. This way, you will always know when there are any uninvited visitors in or around your home.
If you have more than one Blink camera in or around your home, mount them in a way that allows you to view other cameras in one camera’s feed. This gives you a view of prowlers and potential thieves, giving you more proof to offer local police and Blink support if one camera is ever stolen.
Blink offers free replacement for stolen cameras through their Blink Courtesy Theft Replacement Policy. If your camera is ever stolen, ensure you file a police report as soon as possible and report it to Blink within fifteen days of the incident.