IFTTT, or If This Then That, is an innovative software that allows you to create triggers and automation across your devices. Many smart technology users utilize this tool to create unique actions that will make their day even easier. With Alexa devices among the most popular smart home speakers available, it can be convenient to use IFTTT with your smart device.
Will Alexa work with IFTTT? Alexa smart speakers are compatible with IFTTT. All you have to do is create an IFTTT account, then log in to your Amazon account to use voice commands to trigger various applets.
We’ll help you get set up with IFTTT and show you a few examples of the automations you can create with this great tool.
Connecting Alexa to IFTTT
Before you can create any triggers on IFTTT, you first need to create an account. Visit the IFTTT website or mobile app on iOS or the Google Play Store. You can sign up with Facebook or Google, or you can create a new account with your email address.
After you have created your account, you will need to find or create an applet that requires Alexa to trigger your action. You can scroll through existing user-generated “recipes” to create triggers for your devices. Once you find one that you like, click Add. Now, you can use that applet with your Alexa device.
For example, you can set up a Find My Phone applet if you are prone to forgetting where you placed your device. This applet will call your phone when it’s lost. Simply say, “Alexa, call my device.” Then, boom! Your phone rings and all is well again in the world.
Still confused on what an Applet is? Read our entire post here about what it is and how they fit into smart homes.
Alexa, Call My Device Setup
To enable Alexa with IFTTT to call your device, you will need to set up an applet that takes advantage of voice triggers. First, wake Alexa with your wake word followed by the word “trigger” and the phrase you select to start the call. You can say, “Alexa, trigger Call My Phone” or “Alexa, trigger Find My Phone.” After you have added the applet to your IFTTT account, the voice command will start a VOIP call to your phone from IFTTT.
What Else Can You Do with Alexa and IFTTT?
IFTTT makes it simple and easy to connect your many devices. And, with many recipes added by users just like you, there are tons of opportunities to find both silly and useful triggers. For some actions, however, you may have to download additional apps.
Here are some more actions you can set up with Alexa and IFTTT:
- Adjust the temperature in your home. IFTTT has an applet that allows you to connect Alexa to your Nest Thermostat. With the default voice command, “Alexa, trigger Nest to [temperature],” you can turn your heat or air conditioning on or off—whether you’re at home or away.
- What’s on my shopping list? If you’re heading to the grocery store, but don’t have time for the traditional pen and paper method, you can ask Alexa to send you your grocery list. This trigger can send your list by email or text to up to four people.
- Add your to-do list to Google Calendar. Need some help getting organized? After you give the necessary permissions, this trigger will sync your to-do list to your Google Calendar. Alexa creates a Quick Add Event for each item so you can see what’s on your plate right inside your calendar.
- Set the scene with your lights. If you own Philips Hue smart colored lights, you can use this simple applet for a little fun. Say, “Alexa, trigger party time,” and your lights will activate a loop of exciting colors in your home.
- Add songs to a playlist on Spotify. To activate this trigger, simply connect Spotify and Alexa to your IFTTT account and allow permissions. Then, select or create a playlist. Now, when Alexa plays music, you can ask her to add a certain song to that playlist.
- Get creative with your own Alexa applet. On the IFTTT site, select New Applet. Select “+ IF” and choose the Amazon Alexa button. Then, choose from a list of services or actions that you’d like to happen once you activate the trigger. Have fun with building unique and fun applets; maybe they’ll be helpful for another Alexa user!
Enhance Your Home’s Connectivity
The digital age has introduced us to many innovative tools that make our lives easier. Long gone are the days that you have to get up from your comfortable seat to turn off the lights or adjust your home’s thermostat. Smart speakers and AI assistants like Alexa make it easy to connect your devices and control them in new, fun, and exciting ways.
Explore more ways to create a seamless integration between your smartphone and your home by reading more helpful guides like this one.