Do Wyze Smart Plugs Work with Alexa?
The Wyze Smart Plug is a convenient way of scheduling your appliances to go on and off even when you’re not home. Among a host of other features, this device also helps you keep records of how your appliances consume energy. But do Wyze Smart Plugs work with Alexa?
Of course. Wyze Smart Plug can be integrated with Amazon Alexa to get the best out of its voice-command features and control over all other smart home devices, including the Fire TV, Echo Spot, Echo Show, and even your lights.
You can connect your Wyze Smart Plug with Alexa by enabling the Wyze Skill on your mobile phone or by going through the Wyze app. In this article, you’ll find out how this can be done and how you can get the best out of your Wyze Smart Plugs and other smart devices through Amazon Alexa.
How to Link Alexa with Your Wyze Account
You can link Alexa with your Wyze account by following these simple steps:
- Firstly, you must already have your Wyze app installed on your phone.
- Open the app and go to Account Settings. Click on Works With to link Alexa with your Wyze account.
- Alternatively, you can link Alexa with your Wyze account by clicking on Enable Wyze Skill on the Alexa app (You can download the Alexa app from your Google Play Store or App Store).
- You can also visit alexa.amazon.com and search for Wyze Skill.
- After enabling it, follow the instructions on the screen to link your Wyze account to Alexa.
- Enter your username and password to give Alexa access to your camera.
- Click on Add Device in order for Alexa to find your Wyze Smart Plug. Alternatively, you can tap on Discover my Devices to initiate the search.
- Once Alexa finds your Wyze Smart Plug and connects, it’s then listed under Devices in the Smart Home section of your Alexa app.
- That’s it. You have successfully linked Alexa with your Wyze account.
You can follow this simple guide to also link your other smart devices with the Amazon Alexa.
Voice Command Options for Your Wyze Smart Plug
When you have successfully linked your Wyze app with Alexa, you can now control your smart plug using the Alexa voice command. Some of the voice commands you can use to control your lighting are as follows;
You can turn on or off specific plugs in your home using the voice command. All you have to do is tell Alexa to do it:
- “Alexa, turn (plug name) on.”
- “Alexa, turn (plug name) off.”
To make this easier, it’s advisable to change your smart plug names so that Alexa can easily understand them. For instance, the name “Omicron Persei 8” may be too hard for Alexa to hear properly, so in cases like this, you can change the plug name to simpler ones.
How to Edit Your Wyze Plug Name
There are two simple ways you can change your plug name. You can either change it through the Wyze app, or you can just change the name you call to reference it for Alexa.
If you’re changing it through the app:
- Go to the Home Tab of your Wyze app and click on the device you want to rename.
- Click Settings in the top right corner.
- Click on Name and edit it to your preferred name.
Note that when this is done, you will need to have your Amazon device rediscover the plug for the new name to become registered and reflect on the Alexa app.
You can do this on the Alexa app or website. Simply go to the menu on your app and select Smart Home. Click on Add Device in the Devices tab. Once this is done, Alexa will discover all the devices, and your new plug name will reflect on the app.
Renaming Method 2
The other way to rename your Wyze Plug is by keeping the same name on the Wyze app but changing the reference name for Alexa.
This can simply be done by:
- Open your Alexa app and tap on Wyze Plug within the Smart Home section.
- Click on Edit Name.
- Edit the name to your preferred choice.
- Once this is done, the new name will be updated but not on the Wyze app.
If you would like to learn more about Wyze, check out this article. Now, let’s look at unlinking Alexa from your Wyze account.
Unlinking Alexa from Your Wyze Account
To unlink your Wyze account, open the Wyze app and go to Account Settings. Click on Works With to unlink. If you want to unlink using the Alexa app, open the app and go to the menu. Select Smart Home, tap your Smart Plug, and follow the instructions to unlink.
The Wyze Smart Plug provides great functionality for your smart devices at home. This smart plug works very well with Alexa, and you can easily set it up and link it within minutes for a smarter experience. The Alexa voice command feature makes it possible for you to turn on and off plugs at home using your voice. You can also set timers, create schedules, and monitor the energy consumption of the plug.