With the popularity of wireless headphones and Bluetooth-capable devices, people have started using their wireless headphones for almost everything. They are great for exercising, working, and casual listening to music and podcasts. However, many people wonder if they can also use their headphones with their smart TVs.
Wireless headphones, including AirPods, can work with smart TVs. Most headphones can be connected via Bluetooth by turning on Bluetooth in settings for both the headphones and the TV. The devices can then be paired together for easy listening.
You might still need complete step-by-step instructions to turn on Bluetooth and pair the devices. We will go over exactly how to do this below. We will also explain how to use your wireless headphones using some other methods if you do not have Bluetooth.
How Do I Connect My AirPods to My Smart TV?
Bluetooth is the easiest way to connect your wireless AirPods to your smart TV and can be done in just a few simple steps:
- Open Settings on the TV. From the TV home screen, click open Settings and find the Bluetooth option. Turn Bluetooth on.
- Open the lid of your AirPods case. Once the lid is open, you can press and hold down the small button on the back of the case until it blinks. The AirPods should automatically appear on the list of devices available on the TV.
- Select AirPods from the TV. Using your TV remote, select AirPods. It will take just a few seconds to pair, and then your headphones should be ready to use.
How Can I Connect my AirPods to My TV Without Bluetooth?
- Connect the adaptor to the TV. After turning on the adaptor, you can connect it to the TV in the USB port. Make sure the TV is also turned on.
- Turn on Bluetooth settings. Most adaptors will turn on Bluetooth automatically once connected to the TV. Open up Bluetooth settings on the TV to ensure that it is connected and ready to pair with the headphones.
- Open the lid of the AirPod case. Open the Airpod’s case and press and hold down the button on the back of the case. It should flash white when it’s ready to pair.
- Get listening. Once the AirPods are ready to be paired, the Bluetooth adaptor should flash, meaning it has paired successfully. You will now be able to listen to your TV through your headphones.
Watch this great video for a visual guide on how to pair the two devices.
Can I Connect Any Pair of Wireless Headphones to a Smart TV?
Any brand of wireless headphones can be paired with a smart TV, not just AirPods. Depending on the brand you have, the steps may differ. Generally, they are similar regardless of what type of headphones you have:
- Turn on the headphones. Most wireless headphones will switch on Bluetooth as soon as they are turned on. Refer to your specific headphone’s instructions for further help.
- Turn the TV on. Go to settings and enable Bluetooth. You should see your wireless headphones as an option under available devices.
- Select the headphones you want to use. Click on the headphones you want to pair. The voice in your headphones should tell you that the pairing has been completed successfully.
Using your wireless headphones with an adaptor follows the same steps as using the AirPods with an adaptor.
Can I Connect My Wireless Headphones to Streaming Devices?
AirPods and other wireless headphones brands can be easily connected to streaming devices such as Roku or the Amazon Fire Stick. The directions for each streaming device differ slightly. Check out the guidelines below for a guide on your specific device.
For Amazon Fire Sticks:
- Put your headphones in pairing mode. This can be done by pressing and holding down the power button or flipping the switch.
- Use the Fire TV Stick to enable Bluetooth. Click Settings, then Controllers and Bluetooth Devices, then Other Bluetooth Devices.
- Select headphones. Your headphones should now appear under devices.
- Install the Roku App. Use your phone or tablet to login into the Roku app.
- Enable Bluetooth. Turn on Bluetooth in the app and choose your headphones in the device section.
- Check the network. Keep in mind that for Roku, your phone and Roku device need to be using the same Wi-Fi network to work properly.
Using wireless headphones can be a great way to listen to a show or movie privately. Most headphones can be used with a TV by using Bluetooth or a Bluetooth adaptor and then pairing the two devices together.
Want to connect your smart TV to Bluetooth speakers instead? Check out this article!