While some smart home devices are able to function independently with just the use of the brand app, others may have limited function unless combined with a smart hub or a base station. It’s important to make sure that any smart home device you purchase has the ability to fit your home’s needs, as well as be a real benefit to you.
The Arlo Video Doorbell does not require the use of a Base Station, and can function without one with all available features. However, a Base Station or Hub is useful to connect all of your Arlo Devices.
In this article, we will address the question of whether the Arlo Video Doorbell possesses the ability to work without the use of a smart hub or base station, as well as how to combine your Arlo Doorbell with some of the popular smart hubs to optimize your user experience.
Needing a Base Station
Okay, now we know that your Arlo Video Doorbell is fully functional without the use of the Base Station or Smart Hub. But if you want to use it with the Base Station or Arlo Hub, what does the process entail? And how can you use other smart hub brands like Google Or Echo? Let’s find out!
Using Your Video Doorbell With The Base Station Or Smart Hub
If you want to use your Arlo Doorbell with the Base Station or Smart Hub, it’s a relatively easy process. This gives you the benefit of connecting your Video Doorbell and your other Arlo smart security devices together under the control of your voice.
Simply follow these steps after installing the Arlo App on your phone:
- Select Settings on your Arlo App
- Select My Devices
- Select your Doorbell
- Select Add New Device
- Follow the in-app instructions to finish connecting your Doorbell
This process works to connect any Arlo smart device to either the Base Station or Smart Hub. It is important to note that some features of your Video Doorbell will not be accessible to you without an Arlo Smart Plan subscription. This includes cloud storage for your Doorbell video. Please bear in mind that the Doorbell does not have internal storage capabilities, and the cloud storage is only available for a three month trial period.
Connecting Video Doorbell To Google Home
You can also connect your Video Doorbell to Google Home to use with the Google Nest, Google Home, and the Google Home Mini 2nd Gen. Arlo products are fully compatible with Google Home, and you will lose none of the features of your Arlo Doorbell.
Connecting your Doorbell to Google Home is a fast and easy process. Simply follow the instructions we’ve provided below:
- Open the Google Home App on your device
- Select the Add+ icon
- Select Set Up Device
- Select Works With Google
- Scroll to find Arlo in the drop down menu
- If you already have the Arlo App installed on your phone, Google will automatically bring it up to confirm your login. Otherwise, put in your login information and grant Google access.
- Choose your device, and add to a Group, naming the device with the command prompt you wish to use for Google to access it. After connection, Google will launch Live View to test your connection.
How To Connect Your Video Doorbell To Amazon Devices
You can use your Echo, Echo Show, and your Fire TV devices to access your Video Doorbell’s functions with the Arlo Alexa Skill. This is a simple process that involves the use of the Alexa App on your phone.
To connect your Doorbell to Alexa using the Arlo Alexa skill, follow the steps below:
- Turn on your Doorbell on and connect it to the Cloud
- Enable the Arlo Skill by giving Alexa the “Alexa, enable Arlo Skill” prompt, or search the Arlo Skill in the Alexa App and select Enable Arlo Skill to link your Arlo and Alexa accounts.
- Follow the prompts in the Alexa App to enable various Doorbell commands.
This will allow you to connect your Arlo Doorbell with all of your Alexa devices, including accessing your Doorbell’s camera view on your Amazon Fire TV devices!
Wow, we’ve taken quite the research journey haven’t we? We’ve covered a lot of material in this article about how to use your Arlo Video Doorbell with the Arlo Smart Hub and Base Station, as well as how to connect the Doorbell with both Google and Amazon hubs.
And of course, we’ve answered our original question; do I need a base station for the Arlo Video Doorbell? The answer is no, but boy do we have a ton of options if we want to!