Smart home security devices are revolutionizing how people secure their homes, from sensing motion and capturing footage to alerting you from your phone with updates no matter where you are. A new feature that most smart home cameras have now is two-way audio, but is this a Blink camera feature, too?
Blink’s new Mini and XT2 cameras feature two-way audio; however, previous versions, such as the Blink XT, do not come with two-way audio.
Having two-way audio is one thing—using it effectively is another. In this article, we’ll talk about Blink cameras that have this unique feature and how it works on each device.
Blink Cameras with Two-Way Audio
|Blink Mini||Blink XT2|
|Power||Hardwired||Works with AA batteries|
|Indoor/Outdoor Use||Indoor only||Indoor/outdoor option|
|Compatible with Alexa||Yes||Yes|
How Does Blink’s Two-Way Audio Work?
Two-way audio gives you the ability to speak to someone through your Blink camera using your phone or another mobile device (like the Amazon Echo Show).
For example, let’s say you’re at the grocery store shopping, and someone in your family decides to stop by your home while you’re out. Your outdoor Blink camera should alert you to motion by your front door (if you have your device set up in this location). By tapping on the notification and viewing the live feed where you can see them, you’ll be given an option to speak to them as well to let them know you’re away.
This feature comes in pretty handy, especially with the Blink XT2, since it can be used to talk to visitors outside of your home. Of course, with the Blink Mini, since it can only be used indoors, you can use the device to talk to household members while you’re away as well (and worst-case scenario, use the function to scare off intruders).
Other Benefits of Using Two-Way Audio
There are two main reasons why people wish to opt for a security camera with two-way audio for their home:
- Even if you aren’t home or busy doing something else, if someone appears at your door, like someone with a delivery, you can still speak to them, if needed.
- If you are uncomfortable with cracking open the front door, not knowing who the person on the other side is, you can communicate with them through two-way audio instead.
How to Use Blink Camera’s Two-Way Audio
If you’re new to the Blink Mini or XT2, you can use the following steps to access your device’s two-way audio feature:
- Download the Blink app (available for both Android and iPhone devices). Make sure the app has access to your phone or mobile device’s microphone so you can speak to others inside or outside of your home through the Blink camera.
- Once your app is configured to the camera, select “Live View.” You should be taken to a screen displaying the Blink camera’s current view.
- On this same screen, you will see a blue circle that says, “Talk.” Tap and hold this button as you speak; the person on the other end should be able to hear you.
Can You Enable/Disable Two-Way Audio?
The easiest way to turn on and off two-way audio is by not allowing your Blink app to access your microphone. You can do this by going to your phone or mobile device’s settings and finding the Blink app. After selecting it, you should see an option to disable access to your microphone on your device. This way, you won’t be able to speak to people on the other end of the camera.
- Downloading the Blink app
- Allowing the app to access your phone or mobile device’s microphone
- Opening the Blink app and selecting “Live View”
- Hold and press the blue button that says “Talk”
In conclusion, two-way audio is a must-have feature for smart home security cameras. Although it can make a camera like the Blink Mini and XT2 a little more expensive, it’s generally well worth the price, being more convenient for users than the cameras without it.
Of course, if you’re not a fan of two-way audio or don’t feel comfortable allowing the Blink app to access your microphone, you can always disable the feature and turn it back on whenever you’d like.