DirecTV Won’t Connect to Wi-Fi
In today’s Internet-connected world, most modern cable providers, including DirecTV, require a Wi-Fi or other network connection to access all the functions and features they provide. While this provides a lot of convenience for customers, some people have issues connecting their DirecTV boxes to their Wi-Fi network.
If your DirecTV box will not connect to your Wi-Fi network, it could be due to an issue with either your network or the box itself. Depending on the cause, you may have to manually or automatically reset your network connection, restart your router, or change your router’s settings.
Below, we’ll discuss some of the fixes that have worked for users like you in the past. Keep reading to learn how to connect your DirecTV box to your home’s network!
Connecting your DirecTV box to your Wi-Fi network may require a bit of work and troubleshooting. There are several methods you can try, including:
- Reset your router.
- Check your router’s firewall settings.
- Change the router’s location or frequency.
- Manually or automatically reset your network.
Let’s discuss how to employ each of these techniques and, hopefully, find a solution that works for you.
The issue may be as simple as a small error with your router. Restarting your router will reset all the drivers, often solving any connectivity issues you are having.
Before attempting anything else, check to see if other devices in your home are having the same issues connecting to the network. If so, fixing the problem could be as simple as resetting your router. Press the power button on your router to turn it off, then wait about 30 seconds to one minute before turning it back on. Then, check to see if you can connect.
Router firewalls prevent unauthorized devices from connecting to your network. If this is the first time you’ve tried connecting to your DirecTV box, firewall settings might be preventing you from connecting. Check your settings, and if you have a firewall turned on, either turn it off temporarily or whitelist your DirecTV box.
If you can, try moving the router closer to your DirecTV box. This will strengthen the connection and may solve the issue.
If you cannot move your router, try changing its frequency. Most routers offer frequencies of both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. While many people opt for 5 GHz to increase their connection speed, 2.4 GHz often has a longer range.
If none of the above fixes work, it’s likely an issue with your DirecTV box, not your router. In this case, try resetting your internet connection from the Settings menu. You can either do this automatically or manually.
Automatically resetting the Wi-Fi connection on your DirecTV box does not require you to enter your Wi-Fi password. However, WPS will need to be enabled on your router. Do this first, then follow the steps below:
- Press the Menu button on your DirecTV remote, then choose “Settings.”
- Now, select “Network Setup.”
- If your box was previously connected to the network but has since lost connection, you’ll want to press “Restore Defaults.”
- Next, press “Connect Now.”
- Once the new screen pops up, select “Continue,” then “Push Button Set Up.”
- Go to your router and push the WPS button.
- After a moment, your DirecTV device will automatically detect the router and connect to it.
If your router doesn’t have a WPS button, or if automatically connecting proves unsuccessful, you’ll have to manually reset the connection. This method will require you to enter your Wi-Fi password, so keep in mind that DirecTV does not support passwords with special characters. If your current password includes any of these, change it to include only alphanumerical characters before you continue.
- Press Menu on your remote, then select “Settings.”
- From here, choose “Network Set Up.”
- If you were previously connected to your network but have since lost connection, choose “Restore Defaults” before continuing.
- Now, press “Connect Now.”
- Choose “Manual Set Up,” then type in the name of your wireless network and press “Continue.”
- Enter your password, then press “Continue” again to connect.
Having a DirecTV box that will not connect to the Internet can be incredibly frustrating. Thankfully, there are quite a few things you can try that may get it to work again.
If you’ve exhausted all of the above options and still are not having any luck, your next step should be to contact DirecTV directly. A customer representative should be able to assist you.