Crunchyroll – Can You Download Episodes to View Offline?
When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Anime and K-dramas are fun and exciting to watch. Not only are they always updating new episodes on Crunchyroll, but some of the newest content is released on this platform. People enjoy watching their anime and K-drama series while on the move. If there is no internet where you are going, can you download episodes to view offline?
Yes, you can download episodes to view offline on Crunchyroll. This functionality was just recently introduced in 2020. You can also cast or screen share episodes if they’re downloaded onto your phone or laptop. Not all titles are available for offline viewing.
It is an exciting thing when you know you can bring your beloved shows with you wherever you go, whether it is camping or to a hotel with spotty service. This guide will teach you the ins and outs of downloading your favorite episodes to view offline from Crunchyroll.
Download the App
So you want to start watching episodes of your favorite anime offline, but you do not know where to start.
The first step in this process is going to the GooglePlay Store or the Apple Store and downloading the Crunchyroll app. It is a free app available to everyone. Without the app, you will lack the ability to download episodes offline.
Sign-Up for Crunchyroll
If you are not already a member of Crunchyroll, you need to sign up and make an account. Once you make a basic free membership, it is time to upgrade. In order to download episodes to view offline, you must be a Crunchyroll Premium member. Their plans and associated costs are below for your convenience:
|Plan Name||Plan Cost||Plan Features|
|Basic Membership||$0.00 per month||Basic access to Crunchyroll website and free video content. This content will include ads. Content will not be released for up to a week after its air date.|
|Fan||$7.99 per month||No ads, unlimited access to the Crunchyroll Library, new episodes 1 hour after they air in Japan, access to digital manga, stream to one device at a time.|
|Mega Fan$9.99 per monthThe same benefits of the Fan membership plus stream to 5 devices at once, offline viewing, access to Crunchyroll special events and lottery, $15 off $100 purchase at Crunchyroll every three months.|
|Ultimate Fan||$14.99 per month||The same benefits of Mega Fan membership plus stream on six devices at a time, offline viewing, annual swag bag, and access to an exclusive anime figure.|
If you want to view your favorite ads offline, you must purchase a monthly membership of ‘Mega Fan’ or higher. You can cast your downloaded episodes onto your Smart TV from your devices, such as your iPad or Samsung phone, once they’re downloaded as well!
Navigating to Download
Now that you know you need to sign up for the ‘Mega Fan’ or higher membership to download episodes offline, here are the steps to do it:
- Make sure you are connected to WiFi or a cellular plan with data. You will need data or WiFi to download before watching the episodes offline.
- Open the Crunchyroll app on your Android or IOS phone.
- Find the anime or drama you want to watch while offline.
- Open up the anime and look for the downward arrow next to the title. This is the ‘download’ button.
- The download will begin. You can find it once it is done by clicking the ribbon titled ‘My List’ at the bottom of the app.
- Next, select the ‘Offline’ tab. It should have a golden crown pictured next to it, indicating you are a premium member and have access to this function.
- The episode you downloaded should be listed and available to watch offline whenever you want.
Expiration of Downloaded Episodes
Now that you have downloaded Crunchyroll episodes to watch while offline, it is important to note that they will not stay downloaded forever. Here are the important timelines you need to keep in mind while viewing a Crunchyroll episode while offline:
- Once the video is downloaded, it has seven days before it is removed from your offline tab in your list.
- If you start an anime episode, your time to complete the episode shortens. You now only have 48 hours to complete the episode before it disappears from your list.
Renewing Your Downloaded Episodes
It can be disappointing to download an episode offline from Crunchyroll and then realize it is gone when you go to watch it. This happens if you take too much time getting to that episode. To prevent this from happening, you can always renew your downloads. Simply connect to an internet connection and turn on your app. The episodes will automatically renew.
In today’s world of advanced technology, people everywhere have access to some of the best features that money can buy. For Crunchyroll, one of their best-paid features is the ability to download episodes to view offline. Sign-up for an account and enjoy anime no matter where you are or what type of internet you have to deal with or without.