If you’re looking to get set up with smart light bulbs, there’s a good chance you already have some experience with smart home technology. IKEA Tradfri Lights offer seamless integration with existing smart home ecosystems, like Google Home. Before investing in the Tradfri line of lightbulbs, I wanted to learn more about how they could interact with my current smart home setup. More importantly, I wanted to know how to get my system connected.
Can I connect Tadfri Lights to my Google Home? IKEA Tadfri Lights can be easily connected to your Google Home system in just a few steps. With the Google Home interface, you can have access to seamless integration with your smart bulbs.
The Tradfri lightbulbs, combined with the user-friendly and intuitive interface of the Google Home App, make for an efficient team. If you’re like me and don’t enjoy the hassle of complicated setups and syncing, then these products might be for you. This article will discuss the benefits of integrating with your Google Home setup, while also providing a guide on how to get started.
What Do I Need to Get Started?
Google and IKEA excel at providing an intuitive setup for their products. Their smart lights are no exception. To get started, you only need a few pieces of affordable hardware, and you’re good to go. Before we begin discussing the initial pairing process, here’s a list of what’s required to establish a connection:
- Google Home or Google Home Mini
- Google Home devices are responsible for managing the automation of your system.
- Tradfri Gateway
- The Gateway will need to be set up and configured via the Tradfri app and Remote in order to connect to Google Home services.
- Tradfri Remote
- The Remote is an “activation” key required for the setting up and configuring the Tradfri Gateway
- Tradfri Lightbulb
- There are several different Tradfri lightbulb models available (differing primarily in number of lumens), all of which are compatible.
The Tradfri Gateway is used as a translator that will allow your Tradfri system to communicate with other smart home technology. In order to get through the initial setup of the Tradfri Gateway, you will need the associated Remote as well.
Now that you have all the equipment you’ll need, let’s look at how to get connected to your Google Home.
How to Connect Tradfri Lights to Google Home in 5 Steps
Assuming you’ve already set up your Tradfri Remote/Gateway and Google Home, you can connect the devices in a few simple steps:
- Open the Tradfri app on your smart device (iOS or Android)
- Tap the “Gear” icon near the top right of the screen
- Tap “Integrations” > “Google Assistant”
- Tap “Enable”
- The app will prompt you to sign in with your Google account
After that, you’re done with the initial setup steps. Once the devices are connected, you will want to use the Google Home app to control the automation. You will then be able to assign your newly connected bulb to your existing Google Home setup.
Additionally, if you’re looking for a visual guide to help get you set up, here is a great video tutorial breaking down the process step by step.
Benefits of Using Tradfri Lights with Google Home
For me personally, the easy setup was a big selling point. The hassle of some more complicated systems is often a deterrent, so I was excited to learn IKEA and Google have taken extra strides to make it easy. Now that you’re all connected with your Google Home system, it’s worth examining some of the benefits of using the Google Home interface.
- Once connected, you can use Voice Commands to control your Tradfri bulbs.
- For example, “Hey Google, turn off bedroom lights” or “Hey Google, lower the brightness on Tradfri bulb.”
- You can also use the voice command function with a Google Home compatible smart device (iOS or Android).
Access to Other Smart Devices
- With the Google Home app and integration, you can access all your Google devices in one interface.
- Additionally, you can use other non-Tradfri lightbulbs (assuming they’re compatible with Google Home).
- The ability to integrate other brands of lightbulbs also means you can create different unique “Groups” in the Google Home app.
- If you’re looking for more detailed information, here’s a great guide to creating groups with Google Assistant.
Intuitive Google Home Controls
- Many people are already well-versed or at least familiar with the Google ecosystem. By connecting your Tradfri bulbs with Google Home, you can use an interface you’re already accustomed to, with the added support of Google.
Operate Devices Remotely
- A perhaps lesser-known benefit of using Google Home for your Tradfri bulbs is that you can activate the bulbs remotely.
- For example, if you leave the house for work and realize you left your lights on, you can remotely deactivate them through the Google Home app. IKEA’s Tradfri app does not have native support for remote functionality.
Troubleshooting Potential Issues
Let’s say you followed all the appropriate steps to get your Tradfri lights connected to your Google Home system, but you’ve started running into some issues. I’ve provided a guide below to help address some common troubleshooting complications you may encounter.
Tradfri Bulbs are unresponsive to Google Home inputs
- Try issuing a voice command to your Google Home asking to “Sync my Devices.”
- Unassign the Tradfri bulbs from IKEA app, then re-pair
- Disable the Google Assistant integration from the Tradfri app, and try re-pairing the devices.
Lightbulb(s) are not showing up in Google Home app
- If the Tradfri lightbulb was previously connected to another device, it will need to be unpaired before it can be properly connected to your Google Home.
- If that doesn’t resolve the issue, you can try unpairing and re-pairing the bulbs from the Google Home app as well.
Intermittent Connection Issues
- Try Resetting the Tradfri Gateway.
- Make sure that your Gateway’s current firmware is up to date (How-to Guide Here).
- If those steps don’t work, try resetting the router that the Gateway is connected to.
How do I Reset my Tradfri Bulb(s)?
- On the Tradfri Remote, press the power button for the bulb six times.
- The bulb will then flash after the sixth time.
- Press the “+” button on the Tradfri Gateway to view the bulb.
- Make sure the bulb and Remote are near the Gateway (ideally within an inch) to ensure successful pairing.
Tradfri Smart Home Compatibility
Fortunately for many users, the Tradfri line is compatible with most major Smart Home devices. Even if you don’t currently use Google Home for your smart home automation, IKEA has you covered. Here’s a quick list of the smart home systems currently compatible with Tradfri lightbulbs:
Seamless integration of your smart home devices with IKEA’s Tradfri bulbs isn’t exclusive to Google, however. If you’re looking for guides on how to get connected with your Apple HomeKit or Amazon Alexa, the-ambient.com provides a cohesive walkthrough:
Now that we’ve established which devices and smart home systems are compatible with the Tradfri lightbulbs let’s breakdown the requirements for getting connected with your Google Home setup.
If you’re looking to add lighting to your existing smart home ecosystem, the IKEA Tradfri line of smart bulbs is a great choice. They offer intuitive, seamless integration with many well established smart home systems, like Google Home. Not only that, but you can have your lights and Google Home connected in just 5 easy steps.