Having streaming devices, such as an Apple TV, connected to your television means you can watch thousands of your favorite movies and shows with the click of a button. However, it also means there are more remotes to lose! Before you pull your couch apart or blame everyone in your family, let’s find out how to connect an Apple TV to WiFi with no remote!
There are essentially 2 ways to connect an Apple TV to the WiFi with no remote: Through the Apple TV Remote app, use a spare remote, or Bluetooth. Each of these solutions is simple and doesn’t require any extra purchases, so you can connect your Apple TV to WiFi right now!
In this article, we will step through the instructions for each of these solutions so you can get back to enjoying your Apple TV in the next few minutes, and even if you find that pesky remote, you will never have to worry about losing it again!
2 Easy Ways to Connect Apple TV to WiFi With No Remote
Your Apple TV might just be your favorite tech device in your home! You probably already know that it has thousands of your favorite entertainment options that you can access with just the click of a button. However, it does need to be connected to WiFi to function.
Here are the two options you can use to connect an Apple TV to WiFi if you have misplaced the remote:
- Apple TV Remote App
- Another Remote (Not a New Apple TV Remote)
Now, let’s learn how to access each of these solutions in a few easy steps!
Apple TV Remote App
Great news, you do not need an iPhone or Apple device to download the Apple TV Remote app; Android devices have the option as well!
The first thing you need to do, no matter what kind of smartphone you have, is to head over to the app store and download the Apple TV Remote app.
While it is downloading, you should connect the ethernet cable from your WiFi router to the back of your Apple TV. This is an essential step because, in order for your Apple TV to appear on the app as an available connection, it needs to be connected to the internet. Don’t worry; once you have connected the Apple TV to WiFi, you can unplug the ethernet cable.
- Follow the steps on the Apple TV Remote app screen to sign into your Apple account.
- From there, click the “Choose a TV” menu on the top-center part of the screen.
- Find your Apple TV and select it to connect.
- You can now see the settings menu of the Apple TV.
- Click Settings > Network > WiFi.
- Select your home wireless network and sign in with your password.
Your Apple TV is now connected to WiFi, and you can disconnect the ethernet cable and continue to use your smartphone as the remote to enjoy your hours of entertainment!
Use a Spare Remote
If you’re like most people, you have probably accumulated a fair amount of random remotes over the years! If you have a spare remote in a junk drawer or under the couch cushions, you are in luck: You can use it as a remote for your Apple TV with just a few easy steps!
For this solution, you will still need to download the Apple TV Remote app; however, once you connect the Apple TV to the spare remote, you won’t have to use your smartphone every time you want to control your Apple TV.
- Connect your Apple TV to the internet via the ethernet cable.
- Open the Apple TV Remote app.
- Click “Choose A TV.”
- Select your Apple TV.
- Select Settings > Remotes > Learn Remote.
- Follow the prompts on your screen. It will instruct you to press certain buttons on the spare remote so the Apple TV can learn its commands (it’s important to ensure the spare remote has working batteries in order to function properly.)
- Once it’s fully connected, use the new remote to navigate to the Apple TV’s Settings menu, then select Network, and finally WiFi to sign in.
Now, you can disconnect the ethernet cable, and the entire family can enjoy using that once useless remote from an old TV or DVD player to control the Apple TV!
The Bottom Line
Of course, you can also always jump online and purchase a new Apple TV remote; however, these solutions are so simple that you don’t even have to!
Without spending any extra cash, you can easily connect your Apple TV to your home wireless network in just a few minutes by downloading the Apple TV Remote app or by using an old remote you have around the house!
It’s important to note that the only gadget you actually need to make one or both of these solutions work is an ethernet cable, but even if you’ve never noticed it before, every router has an ethernet cable connected to it!