Can You Use an Android Smart TV Without a Remote?
Have you lost your remote for the thousandth time or maybe its fallen into the unknown between the couch abyss? Whatever the reason you want to be able to control your TV but how? Is it possible to control your Android TV without a remote?
Most Android TV devices come with a voice-enabled remote for ease of searching content using google assistant. However, you are able to control your Android TV with your mobile device, but you will need to download the corresponding app first. This will turn your mobile device into a remote, with all the capabilities that a normal remote-control would have.
By turning your mobile device into a remote control, you are still able to have your viewing experience. Read on to figure out how use your phone to control your TV.
Luckily, losing your remote doesn’t mean you have to miss out on the latest episode of your favorite show. With the recent popularity of smart TVs, they may not have as many buttons as older models. However, most TVs do come with at least a power button.
To turn on your TV without the remote, you should:
- Approach the TV.
- Search for the power button. This button is often located along the bottom panel of the TV, but some flat-panel televisions include the power button facing upward or downward at the top or bottom of the TV’s frame.
- Once found, press the power button fully and release.
With the recent popularity of smart TVs, they may not have as many buttons as older models. However, most TVs do come with at least a power button.
Use a Smart Speaker to Control Your Android TV
You may be wondering if you can set up voice commands from your smart speaker, like Alexa or Google Home, to turn on and control your device and you are lucky to know you can as long as the devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
For Alexa to control your device, you will need to have the Alexa app downloaded to your cellphone or tablet. Then open your Alexa app on your cellphone > Menu > Skills > and select the Hub > Activities > Link account. Once you’ve paired your Alexa with your hub, you can say, “Alexa, turn on TV,” without needing your remote
For Google to control your device you will need to have the Google Home app downloaded to your mobile device or tablet and then follow these steps:
- Open the Google Home app Google Home app.
- At the top left, tap Add (+) Set up device, New device .
- Tap the home you want to add the device to > Next.
- Tap the device you want to set up > Next.
- Make sure that the code shown on the TV matches the code shown on your mobile device.
- To send anonymous data that helps us improve devices, tap Yes, I’m in. To opt out, tap No thanks.
- Tap the room where you’re setting up your device > Next.
- Tap the Wi-Fi network you want to connect your device to > Next.
- Tap Next.
- To choose whether to receive emails about your device, tap Sign up or No thanks.
- Choose which video services you want to add > Next.
- Tap Continue > Continue.
How to Use the Android TV Remote Control App
The Android TV Remote Control app is an official google product. You can use it to control any Android TV device that’s on the same Wi-Fi network as your smartphone.
After making sure your phone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Android TV and downloading the Android TV Remote Control App, you will see a D-Pad interface once you open the app. You can then use the up/down/left/right arrows to navigate the TV. You also have an option to use a Touchpad instead of a D-Pad.
To do this, select the Touchpad controls from the hamburger look alike menu on the top left corner of your screen. You can also search using your voice by tapping on the microphone icon (assuming that your Android TV supports this feature).
If you lose the remote you can download an app depending on the type of smart TV you have in place of a physical remote. To follow this path, you may have to download the specific app based on the brand of TV you have. Some examples are:
- Android: if you have an Android TV from Google, the app to download is Google Assistant or the Android TV Remote Control app, both available on Android and iOS.
- LG: if you have an LG-branded TV, you will have to download the app LG TV Plus, available for Android and iOS.
- Sony: if you have a Sony-branded TV, you will have to download the app Video & TV Sideview, also available for Android and iOS.
- Samsung: if you have a Samsung TV or Smart TV, the app to download is Samsung Smart View, available for Android and iOS.
- Panasonic: if you have a Panasonic TV, the app to download is Panasonic TV Remote 2, also available for Android and iOS.
You are easily able to download an app to control your smart TV or set up your smart speaker controls. Depending on the app you download, you can control the features within the interface as well as us your Alexa or Google by speaking commands to it.