Can You Use a Smart Plug with a Keurig?
By Trae Jacobs,
When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Keurigs are hailed as one of the most useful modern appliances of the twenty-first century. With their ability to make a cup of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate with little-to-no effort on behalf of the user, Keurigs have left traditional coffee makers out to dry. When it comes to convenience, you can’t beat them. But can you make them more convenient by using them with a smart plug?
You can use a smart plug to power a Keurig, but it cannot be used to make a drink automatically. In other words, although the smart plug is turned on and connected to the Keurig, a drink cannot be brewed until you manually press the appropriate brew button on the device.
Despite the lack of automation between a smart plug and a Keurig, there are available options you have when looking to integrate technology into your kitchen or your morning routine. Depending on the beverage you wish to brew, some devices can be automated to give you the hands-off experience you’ve been looking to achieve, rather than using a smart plug.
Can You Use a Smart Plug with a Regular Coffee Maker?
There’s nothing wrong with using a smart plug with a standard coffee maker. Just know that, as we mentioned above, your drink won’t automatically brew when plugged in.
If you’re opting to use a smart plug, the following coffee makers are your best bet:
- Black and Decker 5 Cup Coffeemaker: This traditional coffeemaker does exactly what you would expect; it brews a standard pot of coffee. Equipped with an on/off switch, all you need to do is plug the device into your smart plug and leave the button in the on position.
- Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker: Like the Black and Decker, the Mr. Coffee 12 Cup is another great option to use with your smart plug. The button on the front easily signals if the device is on or off and holds 12 cups of coffee for those who may want a big batch made at once.
- Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System, Auto-IQ: Ninja offers top-notch quality appliances for anywhere in your kitchen, and this coffee maker is held to that standard. Using a smart-plug with the device won’t allow for you to start a brew, but it can help you save power by only powering it on when you need to use it, without the need to unplug when you’re done.
It is crucial to leave the device’s power button in the on position with these traditional coffeemakers. This will allow your Alexa or similar home assistant to turn on the coffeemaker with a voice command.
In addition to convenience, leaving the coffee maker off with your smart plug will reduce the electricity the device will use compared to leaving it plugged into the wall.
Are There Smart Coffee Makers?
If your goal is to automate the coffee or tea brewing process, consider investing in a smart coffee maker! From programmable options to smart home integrated devices, here are some coffee makers that go above and beyond:
- Hamilton Beach Smart Programmable Coffee Maker: Hamilton Beach is one of the only companies that has put Alexa compatibility into the actual machine. Using voice control, you can set the brew strength or cup size without even having to walk into the kitchen.
- Atomi Smart Coffee Maker: Atomi’s option for a smart coffee maker integrates both Alexa and Google Assistant technology to create the most compatible device on the market. They also boast a specialized app that allows the user to set specialized weekly or daily brewing schedules.
- Keurig K-Duo Coffee Maker: Keurig has yet to offer a coffee maker that has connected smart home technology, but this K-Duo has a programmable feature on the unit itself. With a delayed start setting, you program the coffee maker to brew first thing when you wake up or late in the afternoon for a pick-me-up. If you’re looking for a beverage brewer that makes not only coffee but also tea, hot chocolate, and espresso, a Keurig is the way to go.
- Cuisinart DBG 900-BC Grind-And-Brew: For those who freshly ground coffee without the hassle of grinding it yourself, this is the number one coffee maker for you. With nearly every setting to choose from, you will be able to have a perfect cup at the time of your choosing.
Depending on what functionality you need, there are a variety of coffee makers to choose from. If you want something to work with the new smart-plug you just got, traditional coffee makers are your best choice. However, if you want a unit where you can have voice commands or additional programming, opting for a smart coffee maker is ultimately a better option.
Curious about whether your smart plug works with other common household devices, like your TV? Check out this article!