Using an e-reader is a convenient way to carry a library’s worth of books with you at all times. It lessens bulk, removes the need for physical bookmarks, and you can use it in light and dark rooms. Overall, it makes reading really easy. Some people do not love the backlight on the Kindle Oasis and ask, can you turn off the backlight on the Kindle Oasis?
You cannot turn the backlight off on the Kindle Oasis, but you can dim or brighten it, depending on your preference. If you go to the settings on the Kindle Oasis and adjust the settings accordingly, you will be able to accomplish this task.
The backlight does not have to cause a reader angst and frustration. Amazon has made it easy to adjust the setting to be more amenable to the eyes overall. Read on to learn how to adjust the backlight on the Kindle Oasis as well as other popular Kindle e-readers, troubleshoot the backlight, and adjust other light features.
Turn Down the Lights
Not everyone loves the backlight feature on the Kindle Oasis. It can aggravate sensitive eyes, or it can just feel like too much overall. If this is the case, it can be adjusted within the settings of the Kindle Oasis. To adjust it, follow these easy steps:
- Go to the home screen
- Swipe down and pull the “quick actions menu”
- Tap “settings”
- Under “brightness,” there are symbols indicating brightness up (+) and brightness down (-)
- Press the + or – button and adjust the brightness. You can hold down either button to adjust the brightness to the max level
You can test it out by opening a book after adjusting the brightness. Adjust the levels until your eyes are more comfortable, or you can see the screen more clearly. It is important to note that these steps are the same for all Amazon e-readers with a backlight.
Turn Off the Blue Light on Kindle E-reader
If you are trying to turn off the blue light on a Kindle e-reader, you are not alone. Blue light is known to cause eye strain, headaches, and tiredness when looked at directly for long periods of time. Many people try to combat this lighting and turn it off to reduce these symptoms. Unfortunately, you cannot turn off the blue light on an e-reader.
Luckily, there are ways to reduce the effects of blue light when using an e-reader. Although the blue light will still linger, the eyes will take the light in gently and prevent the painful side effects. Here are some of the best ways to combat blue light when using an e-reader:
- Use a stick-on filter. Amazon and other retailers sell a stick-on filter that lessens the emittance of blue light on an e-reader. These filters are similar to phone screen protectors, except that they filter out blue light instead of protecting the screen from cracking.
- Buy Blue Light Glasses. If you do not like the way a filter looks on the screen of a Kindle e-reader, then opting to buy a set of blue light filtering glasses is a great alternative. These glasses come clear, in many styles, and prevent the harmful blue light from damaging the eyes.
- Upgrade your Current Spectacles. If you already have glasses and cannot fathom putting a pair of blue light glasses on top of your glasses, then it is time to get a new script. You can buy eyeglass lenses that come with blue-light blocking technology to help your eyes stay stronger.
Blue light can be a big pain. It is worth the investment to battle the effects that occur from it. Health is a number one priority, and blue light can be detrimental to the eyes. Take the time to grab a screen or a set of glasses to ease the pain.
Kindle Screen Won’t Light Up
The brightness has been adjusted, and your eyes are thanking you, but all of a sudden, the Kindle stops lighting up. This can be frustrating because it keeps you away from your books and reading progress. Sometimes the screen does not light up, but it can be fixed. Here are some great troubleshooting tips to do so:
- Reset the Kindle. Technology does not work perfectly all of the time, no matter how much we want it to. One of the best ways to fix an unresponsive screen is to reset the Kindle. Simply turn the power off, wait 10 minutes, and then power it up again. It is likely the screen will turn itself back on.
- Dead Battery. Another common reason the screen will not turn on is that the battery is dead. Try charging the Kindle for a few hours and then powering it off and on again. The system will sometimes shut the screen off if the power is too low to conserve energy for other functions. There are some things you can do if your battery is draining fast.
- Hardware Malfunction. The hardware could have broken inside the Kindle. This can cause the screen to go black and become unresponsive. If this is the case, it is best to contact an Amazon technician to get it fixed or replace the unit completely. To determine the best option, weigh the cost of each and decide from there.
A black screen is problematic for any e-reader and frustrating for its user. These tips should solve most problems regarding a black, unresponsive screen. A user may have to bite the bullet and replace the e-reader with a new one if it doesn’t.
Turn Up and Tune Out
No matter where you are, adjusting the brightness on the Kindle Oasis or any Kindle e-reader is really easy. Whether you are camping in a dark location or reading on a sunny beach, the Kindle allows you to adjust the screen to your preferences. So turn it up or down, and tune out the world with a good book and some relaxation.