You can get Snapchat on the Amazon Kindle Fire HD. However, you cannot download it from Amazon’s app store. Instead, you must do so through your Kindle Fire’s web browser, Silk. Here, you can download and use the app just like you would on an Android phone.
Continue reading to learn more about getting Snapchat on your Kindle Fire HD. In addition to sending and receiving messages, you can also download your pictures to your tablet’s photos folder.
How to Get Snapchat on Your Kindle Fire HD
To get Snapchat on your Kindle Fire HD, you’ll need a stable Wi-Fi connection. You should also make sure that your tablet is on the latest version of Silk. You can check for updates by visiting your tablet’s settings.
Make Sure You Have Enough Memory
Your Kindle Fire HD comes with anywhere from 32 GB to 64 GB of memory. That’s pretty generous, rivaling many smartphones on today’s market. However, if you use your tablet for web browsing, apps, and streaming, you might exhaust your memory.
To download Snapchat, you’ll need 1 GB of storage space. Even getting rid of one app could mean the difference between a successful or unsuccessful download. You can delete unwanted apps by following these steps:
- Go to the “Games & Apps” tab.
- Select “Library.”
- Choose the app you want to delete.
- Select the […] next to the unwanted app.
- Choose “Manage All Applications.”
- Select the app.
- Tap “Delete from Device.”
Now, you’ve ensured that you have enough room to download Snapchat.
As noted, Amazon does not have Snapchat on its native app store. However, you can download apps outside of Amazon through a process called “sideloading.”
The biggest difference between downloading apps through Amazon and “sideloading” is that your sideloaded apps won’t automatically update. If you experience any lags, delays, or freezes, you’ll have to check for updates directly through Snapchat’s website.
How to Allow Sideloading
To allow sideloading on your Kindle Fire HD:
- Unlock your Kindle Fire HD.
- Tap the gear icon.
- Go to “Device” or “Security,” depending on what tablet you have.
- Enable “Allow Installation of Application From Unknown Sources.”
Download Snapchat from the Internet
Now, to get Snapchat:
- Open the Silk browser on your tablet.
- Visit this website.
- Select “Snapchat” on the top of the screen.
- Download it to your tablet.
Open and Enjoy Your New App
You’re in the final stretch. To complete getting Snapchat on your Kindle Fire HD:
- Open Silk.
- Tap “More” (it looks like three horizontal lines on the left-hand side).
- Go to your Downloads menu.
- Choose “Snapchat APK.”
- Install the app.
- Wait until installation finishes (your waiting period depends on your internet speed).
- Press “Open” if you want to use the app or “Done” if you want to do something else.
What Can You Do with Snapchat on Your Kindle Fire HD?
Once you download Snapchat to your Kindle Fire HD, you can use the app just like you would on your phone or tablet. One of the best things you can do is play with Snapchat’s “lens.” Since your tablet comes with a camera, you can take selfies and apply filters.
You can also:
- Send and receive text messages from friends
- Send and receive pictures from friends
- View other users’ stories
- Monitor your dashboard
- Connect to links hosted by third-party sites.
As noted, you’ll need a Wi-Fi connection to use each of these features. If you don’t have a Wi-Fi connection, you can turn your phone into a mobile hotspot and connect your tablet from there.
What Other Social Media Apps Can You Get on the Kindle Fire HD?
After following all these steps, you might wonder whether you have to follow the same process for other social media apps. You don’t. Snapchat is something of an outlier when it comes to what you can’t download on the AppStore.
You can easily use these social media and communication apps on your Kindle Fire HD:
- Facebook Messenger
Note: While these apps are free to download, some require paid subscriptions.
A Final Word
You can download Snapchat on your Kindle Fire HD. However, you must allow your tablet to download apps from websites outside of the app store’s network. To learn more about operating your Kindle Fire HD, consult your user manual.