Can You Charge a Galaxy Watch with Your Phone?
It is not unusual for one to lose a charger or have one that got spoiled. Or even maybe your watch is low, and no charger is nearby. How do you cope in the period between practically having no charger and the time you’ll get a new one?
The technology of PowerShare allows you to charge your Samsung Galaxy watch by sharing power wirelessly from your phone. It only works for certain devices, however.
Read on to discover how to follow this process and know if your phone and watch support the feature.
Samsung recently introduced PowerShare technology, a way for you to charge your devices on the fly using a phone rather than a charger. It uses the same concept of wireless charging that has been blowing up for the past few years.
Wireless charging ordinarily entails using a charging deck to charge your phone wirelessly. Samsung devices often use the Qi wireless charging technology, and it’s the same technology that will be used to charge the watch. Now, rather than your phone receiving power from the charging dock, it will give power to your watch the same way it would receive from a wireless charging pad.
Not all Samsung phones support the PowerShare feature. This is because it is quite recent and also requires the phone to allow wireless charging in the first place.
The phones that allow you to charge your Samsung Galaxy Watch with them are:
- Galaxy fold series: This includes Galaxy Fold, Z Fold2, and Z Fold3
- Galaxy Z series: The phones here are Galaxy Z Flip, Z Flip 5G, and Z Flip3.
- Galaxy S20 series: These are Galaxy S20 5G, S20+ 5G, S20 Ultra 5G, and S20 FE.
- Galaxy S10 series: They are Galaxy S10e, S10, S10+, and S10 5G.
- Galaxy S22 series: This includes Galaxy S22, S22+, and S22 Ultra.
- Galaxy S21 series: The phones in this series are Galaxy S21, S21+, and S21 Ultra.
- Note 20 series: These are Note20 5G and Note20 Ultra 5G.
- Note 10 series: Galaxy Note10, Note10+, and Note10+ 5G.
If you find your phone to be part of this list, lucky you!
Samsung Watches That Allow PowerShare
The Samsung watches that allow you to charge with the PowerShare are:
- Galaxy Watch
- Galaxy Watch 3
- Galaxy Watch 4
- Galaxy Watch 4 Classic
- Gear Sport
- Gear S3
- Galaxy Watch Active
- Galaxy Watch Active 2
Again, you are good to go if your watch is part of the list. Now, let’s look at how to use the feature.
To use your phone to charge your Samsung Galaxy watch, you only need to activate the wireless PowerShare feature.
However, follow these steps:
- Open quick settings by swiping down from the top of your screen with two fingers. Here, you will see the Wireless PowerShare icon. If it’s not there, add it to the options on the quick settings.
- Afterward, place the phone and the watch back to back. The charging process will begin, and you’ll see the indicator on your watch that it’s charging.
While using your phone to charge your watch, you can charge the former using its charging cable. Also, if you want to stop charging, just move the devices apart. Sixty seconds after doing this, the PowerShare feature will automatically turn off as no devices will be detected.
There are things to always keep in mind when you are using the PowerShare feature to charge your watch with your phone. They are:
- Do not move either the phone or the watch while charging. Move them might disturb the charging process
- The speed and efficiency of the charging of the watch might vary with its condition and the surrounding environment.
- If your phone’s battery percentage drops to a certain level, the charging will stop automatically. This is done to protect your phone battery from being overwhelmed.
- If the charging is slow or the connection is not secured, remove any cover or casing from both devices and try again.
- Do not use wired earphones while sharing power, as this may affect your charging and nearby.
- Charging your phone while simultaneously using it to charge your watch might lead to a decrease in the charging speed of the watch. Also, your phone won’t charge normally as it would be giving power to the watch.
With these in mind, you are now ready to use the PowerShare feature to charge your watch. However, remember that the best way to charge your watch is by using its charger or a charging dock. PowerShare is better left for emergencies.
You can charge your Galaxy watch with the PowerShare feature on some Samsung phones. However, there are some caveats involved as not every Samsung phone and watch supports the feature. Suppose your devices support it; good for you. You can follow the instructions in the previous sections, and you’ll have a standby charger for your watch!