Can Rachio 3 Be Installed Outside (Things to Know First)
Smart home appliances and systems are convenient and give us more control in our homes. The Rachio 3 is a smart irrigation controller that controls your watering schedule. Rachio 3 accurately adjusts to real-time weather conditions resulting in an optimum in-ground irrigation system that saves water and money.
You can install Rachio 3 outside in the recommended Rachio weatherproof enclosure. The smart sprinkler system is not waterproof; therefore, you should protect it from moisture and other elements that cause damage.
You can swap your existing controller for a smart irrigation system that you can control from your phone. If you are considering buying a Rachio 3, read on to find out if it is your best choice.
Is The Rachio 3 Smart Sprinkler Waterproof?
While you can install an irrigation control system inside, most sprinkler control systems are outside. Therefore, buying a system that can withstand the elements is essential. If your controller is outside under an awning or in your garage, you must protect it from water damage.
The Rachio 3 is not waterproof, and water can cause it to malfunction. However, you can weatherproof it using the Rachio weatherproof enclosure. Additionally, ensure that you use outdoor electrical cords and wire clips to prevent damage.
The weatherproof enclosure does not interfere with the controller, and you can use the Rachio app to operate it. However, you need to remove the enclosure to remove or repair the controller.
You can install a Rachio 3 controller anywhere in your home. Let us look at what you need to consider before making the purchase.
How Do I Install a Rachio 3 Controller Outside?
As discussed above, you should use a Rachio weatherproof enclosure to protect your controller from water damage. With the right tools, you can easily hardwire and lock up your controller in these easy steps. For your safety and to avoid shock, ensure that you turn off the circuit breaker or remove the fuse.
Secure the Waterproof Enclosure
Take photos and label your wiring before installation to avoid confusion and mistakes. Next, use anchors to firmly fix your enclosure to the wall.
Hardwire the Power
Your Rachio 3 controller can use electricity from power adaptors or hardwire applications. Connect the power adaptor wiring if you have an outdoor rated and covered outlet. On the other hand, if the plug does not fit, you can hardwire the outlet and plug the pigtail into the enclosure.
Follow these steps:
- First, remove the screws and open the hardwiring bay to access the wires. Turn off the power source, then clean and straighten the wires. Attach a strain relief bushing and put the wires through the bottom left hole.
- Use connector caps to attach the power supply, neutral and ground wire to those corresponding in the enclosure. Connect the black or red power supply wire to the black wire, the white wire to the white enclosed wire, and the green wire to the ground wire.
- Use electrical tape to secure the wires and screw back the hardwiring bay cover.
Now, let’s see how to install the controller.
Install the Controller
Use the included bolts to secure the Rachio controller in the enclosure through the top center and bottom holes. Finally, pull the wiring through the center of the controller’s base.
Download, open, and user guide on the Rachio app to finish the installation. If you are unsure about handling electricity, consult an electrician or find a professional installer.
What Should I Consider Before Buying the Rachio 3 Controller?
While the Rachio 3 is a highly recommended smart controller, you must ensure it will work for you. With every purchase, you enjoy a two-year limited warranty and free service.
Let us look at other things you should keep in mind:
- The device requires an internet connection to get weather forecasts and properly function. Additionally, you control it through the Rachio 3 app on your phone.
- You need a wired underground system to use a Rachio 3. The controller is incompatible with hose timers and battery-powered systems.
- You should purchase a model that supports the zones in your irrigation system.
- You can optimize and fine-tune the watering depending on the weather forecast, types of plants, and soil in your garden.
- The controller and Rachio 3 app are compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant, IFTTT, Apple, and Samsung smart devices.
The Rachio 3 controller is easy to operate and an excellent choice for beginners or experienced horticulturists. The smart system uses rain and moisture sensors to maintain a healthy landscape by providing water when needed.
The Rachio 3 controller is a great investment and an excellent solution for maintaining your lawn or backyard. You can conveniently control the smart watering schedule on your phone and save water, money, and time. While buying the waterproof enclosure costs a bit more, it allows you to install your controller outside without damaging it.