Can My Traeger Grill Get Wet?
When it comes to grilling, there is nothing quite like a Traeger grill. The wood pellet cooking process makes meat taste amazing and they are one of the most popular brands on the market today. And being one of the top brands and a major home appliance, they can be pricey. So, can the Traeger Grill get wet?
While the Traeger Brand of grills is not waterproof, it is able to function properly in inclement weather to a certain degree without risk of fire, shock, or damage to the grill itself. However, the use of these grills in inclement weather conditions may cause some abnormalities in the normal functions of your grill.
Now that we know a random rainstorm or snowy weather isn’t likely to cause our grill permanent damage, what abnormalities can we expect when using Traeger grills in inclement weather, and what can we do to protect our grill in these conditions? Let’s dig in and find out!
What Abnormalities Can Inclement Weather Cause?
This is the type of purchase you really need to go out of your way to protect. However, when you are using your grill outside in bad weather or if something spills on it accidentally, you may be wondering if this can cause irreparable damage to your grill!
The Traeger grill series uses electricity to ignite the fuel source to our grill, as well as to power and control settings and functions for the grill including the use of the Traeger App to control these settings. If the grill is plugged into a grounded outlet, it functions well in all weather and is a highly efficient outdoor appliance that has been designed to stand up to wet and cold weather.
However, as with most smart home tech, weather conditions can play a role in how efficiently these electrical features perform. We have listed some of the inclement weather you might experience and how it may affect your grill’s performance for you below:
- Snow And Cold Weather: In cold weather conditions such as snow or low temperatures, your grill may have a slower ignition or the controller screen may appear to be darker. In cold conditions, you may also experience a slower rise to the temperature you require, or the grill reporting a lower than normal temperature compared to the presets.
- Hot weather: Your grill may run hotter in temperature than the temperature preset.
- Rainy Weather: The grill is able to sustain water spray less than 60 degrees from vertical. Your grill will function normally in all but very heavy and direct rain, or over a sprinkler system.
- Windy Conditions: You may experience slight fluctuations in temperature.
What Can I Do To Protect My Grill From The Elements?
There are many great practices to help you keep your grill in optimal condition in many different weather conditions. We’ve provided a list of excellent ways to protect your grill below:
- Inspect your grill for damage regularly
- Unplug your grill when not in use, or when you are expecting extreme weather conditions. Make sure the plug is covered securely to prevent water damage.
- Clean your grill well between uses, and deep clean your grill if you are not intending to use it for a long period of time. Empty out any ash from the pellets, and make sure the unused pellets are secure in the hopper and that the lid is tightly sealed.
- Use a light coating of cooking oil to prevent rust on the cooking surfaces and grates, and remove and store any removable grates if you do not intend to use your grill for an extended length of time.
- Use a grill cover or tarp to securely cover your grill between uses or prior to inclement weather. Insulated covers are also available to keep your grill at the correct temperature when using it in colder climates or low temperatures.
- Place the grill in a dry place that does not puddle/flood, and brace it with sandbags if necessary when anticipating high winds.
If you have a Traeger grill, it’s important to understand how weather conditions can affect the performance of your grill. While most grills are designed for outdoor use and therefore somewhat resistant to rain, now and high or low temperatures, it is still important to follow good practices to keep your grill in good condition. Be sure that if there are storms in your area with high winds, take extra care when using your Traeger grill.
In this article, we’ve answered our initial question of whether the Traeger Grill can get wet, as well as provided some guidelines on how weather conditions can affect your grills performance, and some great practices to keep your grill in great condition no matter the weather!