Can I Install Xfinity by Myself?
Xfinity offers a range of services, including internet, tv, and phone. But, getting new services installed can feel daunting. Installation fees are often expensive, making the cost of getting started even higher. So, is it possible to install Xfinity yourself?
You can install Xfinity services on your own with Xfinity’s self-install kits. These are available for all Xfinity services. They include instructions on how to complete the installation, as well as all the components you need to get started.
What comes in a starter kit? Is it easy to install your Xfinity services on your own, or is it worth having someone else do it? Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about the Xfinity installation process!
Can I Install Xfinity by Myself?
It is possible to install new Xfinity services on your own. In addition to professional installation, the company offers self-install kits for their services. According to the company, it takes less than 30 minutes to complete this installation and get your Xfinity services up and running.
When you sign up for your new service, just request a self-install kit, and one will be mailed to you. If you don’t want to wait for your self-install kit to arrive, you can also pick one up from a local Xfinity center.
It’s very easy to install Xfinity services by yourself. All you need to do is install a coaxial cable into the appropriate outlet, then connect it to your cable box or modem.
What Comes in an Xfinity Self-Install Kit?
Xfinity self-install kits include everything you need to set up your new services. In the box, you can expect to find:
- Power cord
- Starter guide
- Coaxial cable
- Ethernet cable
- Xfi Wireless Gateway
- An Xfinity envelope with a residential service agreement
The Xfi Wireless Gateway will only be included in your self-install kit if you rent a router from Xfinity rather than purchase your own. A gateway combines the technology of a modem and a router into one unit. You will only need one piece of equipment to enjoy a fast, reliable WiFi connection in your house.
Although these kits include an Ethernet cable, you will not need to use it if you can set up a wireless connection. However, wired connections are often stronger than wireless connections, making it a great backup option if there’s a poor WiFi signal somewhere in your home.
Step-By-Step Guide to Installing Xfinity Internet
After receiving your self-install kit from Xfinity, you are ready to set up your new service all on your own. The instructions vary based on what services you’re installing, but the following steps highlight the general process of installing Xfinity Internet:
- Pick a spot for your gateway. This will need to be relatively close to your coaxial cable input, but for best results, you should place it in a central area where it can deliver a strong WiFi signal throughout your home.
- Look at the bottom of your gateway, or the bottom of your modem or router if you choose to use your own. Here, you will find the network name and password for your network. Write this down for later.
- Connect one end of your coax cable to the wall outlet, then connect the other end to your gateway or router. This will connect your home to the internet.
- After plugging in the coaxial cable, you can connect your gateway, or your modem and router, to a power source. Be sure only to do this after you’ve connected the coaxial cable.
- Once your router is connected to a power source, it will begin booting up. This may take up to 20 minutes to complete.
- After the router finishes booting up, you should be able to find your new network in the list of available networks on your computer, phone, or tablet. Select this network, then input the password.
- Use a web browser to navigate to xfinity.com/activate. Here, you can activate your network and change the name and password if you’d like.
After completing all the steps above, you can test your connection with a speed test. Ensure you have a strong WiFi signal in all areas of your home. If anything seems off, contact Xfinity customer support for additional assistance.
What Types of Self-Install Kits Does Xfinity Offer?
In addition to internet self-install kits, Xfinity offers a range of self-install kits for their other services. These include:
- Xfinity TV
- Xfinity Voice
Each self-install kit is slightly different from the others. However, they all include detailed step-by-step instructions to guide you through the process and all the components you need to do so successfully.
Installing Xfinity Yourself
It is possible to install Xfinity yourself, and the process is relatively easy. Xfinity provides self-installation kits for many of their services, which include everything you need to get your services up and running without the help of an installer. These kits differ slightly, but they all provide clear details on the steps you need to follow to install Xfinity yourself.