Can I Add Storage to My Eufy System?
Eufy offers many different options for home security cameras. They feature many of the same capabilities as other smart security systems, but without the monthly fees. With local storage as a big selling point, many people wonder if there’s a way to add more video storage to the system.
Currently, you can only purchase additional storage for the EufyCam E. Eufy is working on releasing a USB dongle to increase the EufyCam 2’s local storage, but it’s not available yet. While local storage options are limited at this time, you can store more footage from your camera using NAS or cloud storage.
Below, we’ll discuss more specifics on increasing your EufySystem’s storage capabilities. Keep reading to learn everything you need to know!
Eufy is a line of indoor and outdoor home security systems. Like other home security systems, it features basic motion sensors and can be controlled from a mobile app. Eufy requires no monthly fees, the footage is stored locally rather than on a cloud, and the system is entirely self-monitored.
Since the footage is stored locally, security is a must. Eufy uses military-grade encryption to protect your privacy, and videos are automatically deleted once the storage is full. Up to three months of video recordings will be stored, depending on how many cameras you have in your system.
Video footage collected from your EufyCam is generally stored on a 16GB eMMC. The only exception is the EufyCam E, which uses a 16GB SD card to store footage instead. If you have this camera, you can purchase up to a 128GB SD card to keep more footage locally.
Eufy is currently working on releasing a USB storage dongle, which will allow you to store additional footage on the popular EufyCam 2. Until this is available, however, you’ll have to turn to other storage methods.
By default, footage from your EufyCams is stored locally on the EufyHomeBase. Once your storage is full, older clips will be deleted. However, with only 16GB available, you’ll likely need more storage if you have multiple cameras.
Thankfully, there are a couple of alternative ways to store footage from your EufyCam. These include NAS and cloud storage.
If you have a Eufy-compatible NAS (network-attached storage) system, you can enable RTSP, or real-time streaming protocol, to store footage from your cameras on the network. Most NAS systems allow you to add up to two Eufycameras at no cost. If you have more than that, you may need to pay a fee to your NAS host.
To start using your EufyCam with a NAS system, follow the steps below:
- Open your NAS management page, then navigate to the Package Center.
- Search for “Surveillance Station” and install it onto your NAS. Once it installs, you should see it on your main screen.
- Now, open your EufySecurity app. Select the camera you want to stream to your NAS, then press “Camera Settings,” “Storage,” and “NAS (RTSP Stream).”
- Open your Surveillance Station, then find and select the “IP Camera” button on the left side of the screen.
- Navigate to “Add,” “Add Camera,” and finally “Quick Setup.”
- Give your camera a name, and under the Brand Name section, choose “User Define.” For the Type, choose “Streaming – RTSP.” Finally, for Path, input the RTSP link you see in your app.
- You’ll now have to trigger your camera to test the connection. Move-in front of the camera to wake it up and send the stream to your NAS. It should pass the connection test at this point. If it doesn’t, trigger the camera again.
- Once you finish setting up the camera, you’ll find your captured footage in the Surveillance Station’s recordings.
One thing to keep in mind here is that if you do store your videos through NAS, you will not be able to see recordings through the Eufy Security app. Instead, you’ll have to login into your Surveillance Station.
If you don’t have a compatible NAS, storing your videos in the cloud is a great option. It’s also much easier to set up! However, you will have to pay a monthly cloud subscription fee to store your footage this way.
Storing video on the cloud will allow you to watch and download footage from your Eufycamera on your computer. The setup process is slightly different for Android and iOS users, so we’ll highlight both processes below.
To set up cloud storage on an Android device, follow the steps below.
- Open the Eufy Security app, then slide to view the side menu.
- From the side menu, choose “Additional Service,” then “Cloud Storage.”
- Once you’re on the Cloud Storage page, choose your preferred subscription plan to start streaming video to the cloud.
If you’re currently using an iOS device to view recorded videos, follow these steps to start using cloud storage:
- Use your computer to login to the EufySecurity web portal.
- After logging in, go to “Subscription,” “Additional Service,” “Service Center,” and finally, “Cloud Storage.
- On the Cloud Storage page, choose your subscription plan.
Eufy currently offers two cloud subscription plans. Both can be billed on either a monthly or annual basis, depending on your needs. The Basic plan is charged per camera and will store 30 days of downloadable video history, while the Premier plan allows you to host up to 10 cameras with the same amount of downloadable video history.
While we wait for Eufyto to release more local storage options, NAS or cloud storage are the best options for keeping or downloading additional footage. While cloud storage is easier to set up, NAS will allow you to set up two different cameras at no cost.