Your home’s Wi-Fi router is your gateway to a seamless and faster internet connection. But an unsecured Wi-Fi router can create the perfect avenue for hackers to access your home’s wireless systems and cause havoc. Regardless, even with millions of cyber-attacks daily on the internet, the Eero router may be the solution to the continued security vulnerability in homes today.
All models of Eero devices are secure and safe from hacking. With a host of the latest security patches, firmware, software updates, and security tools, and the introduction of several services like Eero Secure and Eero Secure Plus, Eero users are more protected than ever before.
If you are a first-time owner of an Eero or any other home Wi-Fi system, then this article is for you. In this article, you will learn more about Eero’s security and how you can further protect your Eero home Wi-Fi system from hacking.
Is Eero Secure from Hacking?
Since the introduction of the internet and wireless devices, security vulnerabilities have become one of the most significant downsides of smart devices.
Bugs, malware, and phishing can easily allow cybercriminals and hackers to infiltrate internet-accessible devices and expose sensitive information on devices connected to the breached network. Fraud, blackmail, identity theft, and denial of services are often the result of these attacks, leaving consumers and vendors with severe losses.
Eero, popularly known for its hyper-fast and super-secure home Wi-Fi system, is secure from hacking or cyber-attacks, according to the company.
One of the major secrets behind Eero’s ability to prevent hacking of its devices is that all Eero devices come with some of the latest security features such as:
- WPA2 personal wireless encryption
- VPN pass-through
- Static IP
- Port Forwarding, which protects your network from virus and other cyber-attacks.
Eero also offers users a security subscription plan, Eero Secure, which gives you access to additional network security tools for as little as $3 per month. With this subscription, you have access to tools like:
- Advanced threat detection
- Parental control
- Safe search
- Secure private master password
There’s also Eero Secure Plus—which acts as an additional layer of security that helps protect users from phishing, malware, and viruses as they surf the internet.
Unlike most wireless routers, Eero runs an operating system that gives its technical team the freedom to implement fixes instantly. More importantly, since the Eero Wi-Fi router’s infrastructure is cloud-based, you get the benefit of continuous improvement and protection to all Eero network systems in your home.
Tips to Prevent Hacking on Eero
Of course, prevention will always benefit your network’s security. With around 1 million cyber threats daily, taking additional steps to protect your home’s Wi-Fi system from viruses, malware, and bugs will protect you and your Eero from hacking.
Below are some tips to prevent hacking on your home’s Eero system:
- The first and important step to prevent viruses, malware, and phishing attacks is to ensure that all your Eero devices or routers are running on the latest security firmware and patches. You should ensure that you activate the automatic installation of the latest patches and firmware on your devices and computer.
- Install an additional layer of security on your computer. You can decide to install a third-party antivirus or anti-malware software to protect your devices from viruses or hacking. With the newly released Eero Secure and Eero Secure Plus subscriptions, you can add an extra layer of security to your Eero device, starting at $3 per month.
- Turn on your Eero Wi-Fi firewall. Enabling your Eero’s firewall makes your router and wireless connection less visible to hackers. Most Eero routers feature a stealth mode that makes it easy for you to activate your router network firewall, thereby reducing your network visibility.
- Use an excellent password with your Eero Wi-Fi system. Do not use a single password for all your online activities. The Eero 1Password feature makes it easy for you and your family to save all your passwords in a secure password manager. Using the 1Password feature with your Eero devices allows you to create your secret and master key.
- Change your Eero router every few years. While both old and new Eero home Wi-Fi routers offer excellent and fast wireless connection, newer models tend to come with modern-day security tools, patches, and bug fixes.
Overall, Eero has the software and technology to remain secure and free from hacking. Their additional subscription plans also offer an extra layer of security to keep your network safe.
Regardless, if you are a new owner of an Eero home Wi-Fi system, it is recommended that you also adopt the above-listed practices to further protect your Eero from getting hacked.