More and more people are working from home and streaming online for meetings and video calls. I work from home as well and wanted to know if I could use an Arlo Camera as my webcam.
Can Arlo Cameras Be Used as a Webcam? No, Arlo Cameras cannot be used as webcams. Arlo users can view a camera’s live stream on the Arlo app and through an Arlo account on a web browser, but it is not possible to share the live stream online outside of an Arlo account.
Arlo cameras are security cameras first and foremost, and while they cannot be used as webcams, they have some convenient uses such as talking to your kids or keeping an eye on your pets. To get the most out of your Arlo camera, I have provided information on how to share your camera’s live stream, download previously recorded videos and more.
Arlo Cameras Cannot Be Used as Webcams
Arlo cameras can stream their video feed to the Arlo cloud or to an Arlo SmartHub. The live stream can be viewed in the Arlo app on a phone or tablet or in your Arlo account on a web browser. Arlo cameras cannot be used to video call or go live on social media, and the live stream cannot be embedded in another webpage.
Sharing Your Arlo Live Stream
While you cannot use Arlo cameras as webcams, you can share your camera’s live stream with anyone who has their own Arlo account. Follow these steps to share access to your Arlo account:
- Open the Arlo app or your account online.
- Select Settings.
- Select Grant Access.
- Select Add.
- Enter the first name, last name and email address of the person you want to share with. If they already have an Arlo account, use the email address associated with their account. If they don’t have an Arlo account, they will receive an email inviting them to create an account.
- Select the cameras that you want to share access to.
- The default share setting allows others limited access to your camera. If you want to grant others more access to your account, slide the Allow Access Rights bar to the right.
- Move the Allow Access to e911 bar to the right to allow the shared user to be able to communicate with emergency responders.
- Select Send Invite.
Customized Shared Access
Without Allow Access Rights enabled, shared users can:
- View the camera’s live stream.
- View previously recorded videos.
- Adjust the camera’s brightness.
Users with Allow Access Rights enabled can also:
- Start a new video recording.
- Take snapshots.
- Mute the camera speaker.
- View motion detection notifications.
- Share, download, and delete recorded videos.
- Edit modes.
You can change someone’s access rights or delete them from your Arlo account any time under the Grant Access page of the Arlo Settings.
Sharing Recorded Video
You can share recorded videos and snapshots with people who are not connected to your Arlo account. Here are the steps:
- Select Library in the Arlo app or account.
- Choose the picture or video you want to share.
- Select Share.
- Choose from the available sharing methods. The ways you can share will depend on what apps you have on the device you are sharing from.
Alternatively, you can download video clips onto your phone, tablet, or computer to edit and/or share as you see fit.
- Select Library in the Arlo app or account.
- Select the date of the video you want to download.
- Choose the video(s) you want to download.
- Select Download. The video will be downloaded as a file on your device.
More About Arlo Cameras
Arlo security cameras offer many great features for use in your home or business such as night vision, two-way talk, and audio recording.
The feature that I found most beneficial for using Arlo cameras for home security is Continuous Video Recording or CVR. CVR automatically records video and audio 24/7 even while you are viewing the camera’s live stream or using Arlo modes such as “Armed” and “Disarmed”.
CVR is available on the following Arlo cameras:
CVR videos are not able to be downloaded and shared externally. These videos can only be viewed in the cloud by the Arlo owner and shared users.
Choosing the Right Webcam for You
If you are in the market for a quality webcam, I do not recommend using a smart home security camera. There are so many great webcam options out there.
If your home or office has poor lighting, I recommend the Razer Kiyo because it has a built-in LED ring light. Good lighting is a game-changer for the quality of your streaming videos.
Check out this detailed list comparing different webcams to help you find the one that best fits your needs and budget.