Can a Stolen Ring Doorbell Be Used?
Ring doorbells are supposed to provide security from potential thefts, not be the target of said theft. What if that happens? Are my doorbells captors making off with a new-to-them doorbell? You may be wondering.
Can a stolen Ring Doorbell be used? If a thief were to steal your Ring Doorbell, the doorbell would be reusable. However, all of your information and recorded video footage would not be available as soon as the Ring Doorbell has lost its original Wi-fi connection.
So, yes, a thief is capable of reusing your Ring Doorbell. Fret not as there are policies in place by Ring that you will learn about that helps their customers in these situations.
Can Someone Access a Stolen Ring Doorbell?
A Ring Doorbell will only work if it is connected to a doorbell. Some thieves will sell it for parts and others will try to use it for their own pleasure. Once your Ring Doorbell has been stolen, it can not be found again.
Ring does not put tracking devices into their products that would allow this. So, there is no need for you to go searching for your missing doorbell and put yourself in harm’s way.
Now, with the removal of your Ring Doorbell from your home, the camera will no longer be able to function. This is due to the lack of power and the lost wi-fi connection. You do not have to worry about the criminal using your Ring Doorbell to gain access to your information as they would need your Ring account information to do so.
The good news in this situation is that with the Ring Subscription plan, with either the Basic or Premier plans, you can get a recording of the theft. This lets you go to your Ring cloud and look at the latest recorded video to show who did it.
What you do with this video has a lot to do with Ring’s policy on theft and what it takes to receive a replacement doorbell.
Ring’s Policy On Theft
With great proof of theft for your stolen Ring Doorbell or any other Ring device that you may have, you will be given a new Ring replacement for your trouble.
There are several steps that Ring requires you to follow to receive a new Ring replacement. Those steps include:
- Start a police report: This police report is for your benefit and the knowledge for Ring to be able to assist with the theft. It is recommended that as soon as you notice your Ring Doorbell is missing to contact the police.
- Take pictures of the evidence: You do not want to touch anything surrounding your Ring Doorbell. Instead take pictures of anything that are out of the ordinary that could lead to the criminal.
- Be given a copy of the policy report: Once the police report has been filed, you will need a copy of it to show to Ring for verification. This item will be the main factor in receiving your replacement.
- Speak with Ring: You will then need to report the theft to Ring on this page. After Ring verifies the police report, it will take up to 14 days before you receive your replacement.
If you follow the above steps and collect as much information as you can before contacting Ring, you help in speeding up the process. Ring has a few reminders for those who do wish to use their replacement service:
- Fraud: If there is any indication that the Ring Doorbell was connected to a case for fraud after you have contacted them, they are able to refuse any further service regarding your case.
- Notice: Remember that you have only 15 days to report this theft. Once this window of time is over, you are no longer able to make a case.
- Same Device Replacement: You will not be able to upgrade your device. Ring will only hand over the exact device that was stolen from you and nothing more.
Next, you may want to look into ways to protect your Ring Doorbell from other criminal encounters.
Preventing Your Ring Doorbell From Being Stolen
While there are ways around everything, you still want to have peace of mind knowing that it may take a thief a longer and harder time to remove your Ring Doorbell. There have been some Ring Doorbell users who say that it takes a thief 15 seconds to remove the doorbell altogether.
Here are ways that you can prevent your Ring Doorbell from being stolen:
- Place an anti-theft grid box around your Ring Doorbell
- Make sure the system is updated for newer security features
- Use a security camera with a light near your Ring Doorbell
- Use the Ring Neighbors app to keep tabs of criminal activity in your area