Can a Kindle Oasis be Read in Sunlight?
You are looking for the best Kindle to buy, but you have concerns about the possibility of glare, since most Kindles are designed with reflective screens. If you need to read in sunlight, can a Kindle Oasis be a perfect go-to device?
Only the advanced Kindle Oasis model has features that enable it to be read in sunlight. These include adjustable warm light, E-Ink technology, and a non-reflective screen, which help the screen appear like a physical book. If you want to read in sunlight, check if your Kindle has these features.
Understanding the features of your Kindle Oasis will tell you whether or not it can be read in sunlight. Read on to learn more about these features, how to adjust the warm light on your Kindle Oasis, and how long the Kindle Oasis battery will last while you’re reading in sunlight.
Can Kindle be Used in Sunlight?
Only the most advanced Kindle Oasis has features that let you read easily in sunlight. These features include:
- Adjustable warm light. This allows for a richer reading experience in any lighting conditions.
- E-Ink technology. This allows for easy page turns in sunlight.
- Adaptive front light. This automatically adjusts the brightness of your Kindle Oasis screen according to the lighting condition.
- Customized screen. This can detect light changes for a personalized reading experience. You can also adjust the screen shade from white to warm amber.
- Non-reflective screen. This reduces the possibility of glare in sunlight.
- Sharp 300 pixels per inch screen. This makes the screen look as good as printed text on physical paper. It also allows for a more uniform lighting presentation.
Kindle Oasis models with these features are optimized for outdoor reading, especially reading in sunlight.
The Top Three Kindles That Can be Read in Sunlight
In addition to the Kindle Oasis, there are a few other Kindle models that are good for a sunlit read. These include:
|Advanced Kindle Oasis||Kindle Paperwhite||Kindle Kids Paperwhite|
|Adjustable warm light||17 LED front light||300 PPI glare-free display|
|The latest E-Ink technology||300 PPI glare-free display||6.8-inch display|
|Adaptive front light||IPX8-rated waterproofing to protect against accidental immersion||17 LED front light|
|25 LED front light||Adjustable warm light||IPX8-rated waterproofing|
If the Kindle Oasis is not exactly what you’re looking for, the Paperwhite and Kids Paperwhite are excellent alternatives.
Can I Turn the Kindle Backlight Off?
You cannot turn the Kindle backlight off completely while reading. However, you can turn it down to the lowest level. At this level, the backlight is so dim that you can only see the screen in a dark room.
That being said, there are some situations where the Kindle Oasis’s backlight will turn off completely. For instance, the backlight will automatically shut off when the device goes to sleep.
How Do I Adjust the Warm Light on My Kindle Oasis?
Some Kindle devices allow you to adjust the warm light, or in other words, change how dim or bright the display screen appears. However, keep in mind that not all Kindle Oasis models have this feature.
You can check if your Kindle will allow you to adjust the warm light here. If you can, follow these steps to adjust the warm light on your Kindle Oasis:
- Step 1: Tap the Settings icon on the Kindle Oasis home screen. You can also swipe down to open the Quick Action menu. To adjust the warm light while reading your Kindle Oasis, tap or click any part at the top of the display screen to open the brightness scale.
- Step 2: Adjust the brightness using the scale or the ‘+’ or ‘-’ buttons. You can turn off or maximize the front light by long-pressing the ‘+’ or ‘-’ buttons on compatible Kindle models.
Compatible Kindle models also have settings above the screen light controls that activate Dark Mode.
How Long Will a Kindle Oasis Battery Last?
The overall lifespan of a Kindle Oasis battery is impressive. However, the battery life will vary depending on wireless usage and light settings. For instance, a loud audiobook streaming over Bluetooth will quickly reduce the battery life.
According to Amazon, a single Kindle Oasis battery charge can last up to six weeks. However, this is with a few conditions put in place. In order for the battery to last as long as possible:
- Keep the Bluetooth and wireless turned off.
- Keep the brightness setting no more than halfway up.
All this may sound limiting. However, if you will be reading regularly with the display brighter than what Amazon recommends, your Kindle Oasis’s battery should still take a few weeks to run flat. If the battery in your Kindle Oasis does not last even a single week after the first four charging cycles, consider replacing it as soon as possible.
Learning about your device’s detailed features is essential for understanding whether a Kindle Oasis can be read in sunlight. It will vary by model, but the most advanced Kindle Oasis does have features that enable it to be read in sunlight.