Smart plugs are awesome and really come in handy when trying to make regular house devices “smart”. These enable you to remotely control anything you may have plugged into it. Lamps, coffee makers, T.V.’s etc. I have one in my toddler sons room that we use to control his T.V. Bedtime is bedtime, right! Your creativity is the limit here.
When it comes to smart plugs, there are literally dozens to choose from. These little connected gadgets have really become a staple in the smart home ecosystem. With so many brands and different compatibility options, choosing the right one for you may seem like a daunting task. Our goal here is to make that choice an easy one for you.
Here are some of our favorite smart plugs, some we own and some we have researched the heck out of!
What to look for in a smart plug
These things might seem simple but there are a few different things you will want to keep in mind when you are purchasing one or multiple smart plugs. Here are a few things you will want to look out for:
- How many outlets should the device have. Most smart plugs come with 1 or 2 plugs but maybe you really want 3+ for a single outlet. A smart power strip may be in your best interest if that is the case.
- Smart compatibility. You are going to want to make sure the smart plug you choose works with whatever techn you may already have or plan to get in the future. Alexa, Google or Homekit. The good thing is a lot of these devices work cross platform but always double check!
- Will this cover both receptacles on the outlet? Some smart plugs are larger than others and do take up both outlets while sometimes only offering one smart outlet in exchange. It does seem that with time these devices are running smaller, but its always best to make sure. Why lose both of your outlets if you don’t have to.
- Energy consumption tracker. A lot of plugs will offer energy consumption through their accompanying app. Is this important to you or not? Personally, I think it’s pretty cool.
- Will this be an indoor or outdoor plug? These are two very different products. Same functionality but outdoor smart plugs are built to handle the elements.
- Grounded or Ungrounded? If you are going to need the three-pronged outlet, make sure the device you choose includes this functionality.
Our Favorite indoor smart plugs
TP-Link Smart Two-Outlet Wi-Fi Plug. This device requires one outlet but gives you two smart outlet you can control independently. They are both grounded as well (three pronged). TP-Link are compatible with Alexa and Google ad do not require a hub as they use Wi-Fi to connect
Wemo Insight Smart Plug. This plug is compatible with Alexa, Google, IFTTT and Nest. This is an all around good smart plug that also comes with energy reporting and is very easy to set up. This will also keep the other outlet free for you to use however you would like.
iDevices Switch. This one is great because it works with all the big names out there; Alexa, Google and Homekit! It is Wi-Fi and bluetooth enabled and also comes with a cool LED night light you can customize.
Amazon Smart Plug. With Amazon offering so many tech products recently, this one has to be one of there best. It is smart and simple and works seemlessly with Alexa. The big downfall, it only works with Alexa.
Eufy Smart Plug Mini. Eufy is the new kid on the block with smart tech but we hear really great things about their products. This plug works with Alex and Google and only takes up one outlet space. No hub is required.
Our Favorite outdoor smart plug
iDevices Outdoor Switch. Compatible with Alexa, Google and Homekit! This outdoor plugs comes with two outlets that unfortunately can not be controlled separately. No hub required as it is Wi-Fi and bluetooth enabled.