Are WhatsApp Calls Free? Do They Charge For International?
When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
WhatsApp is a free mobile and desktop application that can send text messages, videos, or phone calls over the internet.
WhatsApp voice and video calls are both free locally and internationally. If abroad, you aren’t charged roaming fees outside your regular data charges because WhatsApp uses only the internet to communicate.
WhatsApp also has end-to-end encryption, so only you and the person you contact can see what is being sent. Even WhatsApp can’t intercept your communications.
Why WhatsApp Calls are Free
One of the great features of WhatsApp is that it utilizes the internet to make all of its text, video, and voice communications.
WhatsApp utilizes the device’s internet connection to keep your Internet Service Provider or Cell Service Provider from charging you for your texts, voice, or video calls.
It is possible to make WhatsApp calls from your iPhone or Android cell phone and your Mac or Windows PC using the desktop WhatsApp application.
Do They Charge For International Calls?
Another great feature of WhatsApp is that text, video, and voice calls are free, even abroad. This is because WhatsApp uses your internet connection.
As long as you ensure you aren’t using roaming data on your cell phone, your WhatsApp communications will be completely free.
Otherwise, you will be charged roaming charges by your Cell Service Provider.
A Few Things To Remember About Free Calling Internationally:
You want to implement these tips as they can save you a hassle when traveling abroad and trying to make calls or text while using WhatsApp.
- If you use a WiFi signal, your calls will be completely free locally and internationally.
- If you are using your cell phone’s data, then you will likely be charged for roaming data charges by your Cell Service Provider.
- If your WiFi signal weakens, your phone might automatically switch over to your phone’s default roaming data connection.
- To ensure that your text, video, and voice calls remain free abroad, you should disable the roaming feature on your phone.
The main thing you want to do when traveling internationally, especially if you don’t have a pre-setup roaming plan, is to disable roaming on your phone.
How to Disable Roaming on your Phone
Disabling the roaming feature on your phone keeps your phone from being able to use its native data connection and possibly costs you tons in international costs.
It is important to remember if you disable roaming, you will only be able to use WhatsApp via an active WiFi connection.
Disable Roaming on an Android Phone
You can disable roaming on any Android device, including the Amazon Fire HD 8.
- Open the Settings App
- Select Network & Internet (or it might be labeled Connections)
- Select Internet (might be labeled Mobile Networks)
- Click the cog next to your mobile connection at the top of the menu
- Click the toggle next to Roaming to turn off roaming (it should be grayed out)
Your phone will not connect automatically to your data network when traveling internationally.
Disable Roaming on an iPhone
You can disable roaming on any iOS device, such as the Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max.
- Open the Settings App on your phone.
- Select Cellular (might be labeled as Cellular Data or Mobile Data, depending on the model)
- Select Cellular Data Options (you may have to turn on Cellular Data to access this menu if you have previously disabled it)
- Click the toggle to turn off Data Roaming.
Your phone won’t connect to your data network as a default when traveling abroad.
Keeping Your Communications Private
Another benefit of WhatsApp is its end-to-end text, video, and voice communications. This keeps your conversations, whatever the medium, completely private, even from WhatsApp.
If you send a wrong message using standard phone SMS texting and delete it, it is only deleted on your end. With Whats App, it can delete the message on both ends.
You can use Delete Messages for Everyone to ensure that the other end of the conversation isn’t able to keep a copy of any messages you sent, accidentally or otherwise.
How to Delete Messages for Everyone
These instructions will show you how to delete a message for everyone in a single chat. The message will be deleted for you, and anyone else added to the chat.
- Open WhatsApp
- Select the chat that has the message you don’t want the other party to have access to
- Press and Hold the message you want to delete
- Tap the Delete button (next to the trash can icon)
- Select Delete for Everyone
- Now your message will be deleted for everyone in the chat and be replaced with “This message was deleted.”
Deleting messages in a two-person chat or even a group chat is possible. The messages you delete will be replaced with “This message was deleted” for everyone in the chat.
For more information about deleting messages for everyone as an admin, check out our article on Delete Messages for Everyone as an admin.
WhatsApp is a great application for people who want end-to-end encryption and might have privacy concerns with their communications.
WhatsApp also does not charge for its service. Any costs associated with using it internationally will be incurred by using your data plan. It will always be completely free using WiFi.