There are two types of dads: those who love new innovative gadgets and those who hold their phones a foot away from their faces. When thinking about a smart home gadget for your dad, sure, you want him to enjoy it––but you also don’t want to answer a million troubleshooting questions.
Have no fear. We’ve compiled a list of state-of-the-art gadgets that are perfect for all kinds of dads, whether your dad still rocks a flip phone or had a Facebook profile before it was cool.
Bluetooth-Enabled Victrola Turntable
Every dad has one. It’s a cardboard box stuffed with old records––and even though those songs are all online, they’ll never get rid of it. And now, they don’t have to. You can bring your dad’s favorite tracks back to life with the Victrola Vintage 3-Speed Bluetooth Portable Suitcase.
Not only does it play records, but it:
- Connects to your phone: Sick of hearing the same records? Not a problem; in just a few easy steps, you can bring your record player into the 21st century.
- Comes with a headphone jack: Your dad could have his own private listening sessions by plugging in his headphones or using a Bluetooth connection.
- Goes with you anywhere: Weighing less than three pounds, your device is ready to go when you are. You can have jam sessions inside or outside, day or night.
You can also choose from 37 design options. So, if your dad is into psychedelic rock, you could choose the tie-dye one. If your dad’s more of a country boy, you can get the denim one.
Honeywell T9 Thermostat
Now, your dad doesn’t have to be hyper-vigilant about who messes with the thermostat. With the Honeywell T9 Thermostat, your dad can:
- Monitor his home’s temperature via the app
- Create “schedules” so his home is certain temperatures at certain times
- Connect it to his Alexa or Google Home Assistant
- View the device’s energy use in the app
This device takes the place of your traditional thermostat. Using a combination of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, your dad can control his home’s temperature anytime, anywhere.
ReelSonar Wireless Bluetooth Smart Fish Finder
Now, when your dad pulls up to a lake, pond, or pier, he doesn’t have to hope whether there’s any fish; he’ll know. Also known as the “iBobber,” this device connects to your phone and shares whether there’s any fish in your location. It also shows the size of the fish you’re looking for and its current depth.
The iBobber does this by using sonar. By emitting these signals, it can pick up on fishes’ activity. Connecting the device is simple; it merely attaches to the end of your fishing line. It also comes with a 10-hour battery life, so you’ll rarely need to recharge it.
Portable Backup Camera
Your dad doesn’t need to get a new car to get a backup camera. Instead, he can hold onto his old pickup truck and get a portable one. The eRapta Backup Camera comprises two components: a camera that you attach above your license plate and the screen you attach to your dashboard.
Some noteworthy features include:
- The camera can record footage in the dark
- The camera is waterproof
- You can see images in 1080p (which is what most mid-tier TVs deliver)
- It plugs into your car’s outlet
Installation is easy. Simply attach the camera to your car’s rear, turn on the portable display, and you’re good to go.
No, we don’t mean a single piece of tile. We mean the Tile. You can attach this small, square device to your keyring or slide it inside your wallet. Then, using Bluetooth and downloading the app, you can locate your device. This is perfect for your dad if he constantly loses his keys or lives in fear of losing his wallet.
Here’s how it works:
- You attach it to your wallet or keys.
- You follow the setup instructions in the app.
- When you want to find something, open the app and press “Find.”
- If your device is within 200 feet of your phone, the Tile will emit a sound so that you can find it.
You can opt for the $2.99 monthly subscription if you want the Tile to extend beyond its standard 200-foot range.
Bird Buddy Camera Feeder
Is your dad an animal lover? If so, he’s going to love this: the Bird Buddy Camera Feeder. This device comes with not only a birdhouse but also a small camera that lets you see the birds up close. By downloading the app, your dad can watch live footage from the comfort of the couch.
The birdhouse attracts robins, finches, woodpeckers, and cardinals—as well as the occasional squirrel.
Smart Beer Brewer
If your dad’s in the market for a new hobby, consider Brewer’s Edge Mash and Boil. This smart device holds up to 7.5 gallons of beer and provides all the guidance you need to make a perfect draft each time.
Its LED screen controls everything, including time and temperature. It also lets you mash up to 16 pounds of malt, so your dad can experiment with different recipes. You also should consider getting him Beer Brewing 101: A Beginner’s Guide to Homebrewing for Craft Beer Lovers, so he has a reference.
These are just some of the smart home gadgets that dads love. As long as you keep your dad’s personal preferences in mind, you can’t go wrong with any of these choices.
Do you need a special smart gadget gift for mom, too? Check out this article!