There are a number of outdoor lighting options on the market today that address security, entertaining for small or large areas, and accent lighting. You need to consider the type of lighting you want to use and the best type of fixture for that type of lighting such as floodlights, motion sensors, spotlights, and landscape lighting.
Smart outdoor flood lights have become very popular because you can use one light to cover your driveway or backyard (depending on size), for example. These lights have alert functionality and smart identification to know when a person is in view and needs to turn on. Smart porch lights are also being used more often because of their integration with Amazon Alexa and Google Home, as well as smart alerts. There are other options we will look at later in this article.
So, what are the 5 Best Smart Outdoor Lighting Options?
- Philips Hue Calla Outdoor Bollard
- Philips Hue Discover Outdoor Floodlight
- Philips Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor
- Ring Smart Lighting Motion Activated Outdoor Battery Integrated LED Spotlight + Bridge
- Ring Smart Lighting Motion Activated Outdoor Battery Integrated LED Path Area Light + Bridge
Each one of these products connects to either the Philips Hue or Ring bridge which allows a user to control several smart lights in one application. One bridge is needed per home or office to control all lights. Notifications, voice control settings, connection to other devices is completed using the bridge.
Outdoor Light Options
Smart lights are becoming very popular due to their integration with other security products, ease of installation, LED lights, and alert/notification capabilities. So, what are your options for outdoor lighting? The table below will describe the type of smart lights available and where to use them (the list is not all inclusive).
|Type of Light||Best Use|
|Flood Lights||Driveways, Yards, Office Building, Workshops|
|Spot Lights||Driveways, Yards, Office Building, Workshops|
|Wall Lanterns||Patio, Driveway|
|Wall Fixture||Patio, Driveway|
|Path/Walkway Lighting||Garden, Landscaping, Walkway|
Depending on what type of lighting you are looking for, use the light above to help you narrow your search.
5 Best Smart Outdoor Lighting Options
Below you will find a list of 5 of the best outdoor lighting options to use at your home or office. All smart lights have their own pro and cons, so you need to have an idea of what you are looking for. Do you want a motion activated light, maybe a light that has various color options, or specific integration with Google Home Hub or Amazon Alexa? Use your wants and needs to narrow your search. Below are some of the qualities and capabilities that make these lights the top 5 on my list.
Philips Hue Calla Outdoor Bollard
The Philips Hue Calla Outdoor Bollard is an elegant addition to anyone’s yard. The Calla Outdoor Bollard is a 9.9-inch tall cylinder with an LED bulb that displays over 600 variations of light. The Calla comes with the power source, extension cable, and a stake for ground installation. However, it can be mounted as well. The Calla has four main capabilities that make it one of the best smart outdoor lighting options in the industry.
- IP65 Rated: The Calla is dust and waterproof meaning it will be protected from rainstorms and sprinkler systems.
- Extension Cable: Philips provides a 16-foot extension cable with the Calla allowing you to place it in a wide variety of locations around your lawn or home.
- Create Routines: Using the Philips Hue application you will have the ability to determine when your lights go on and off based on schedules you set up.
- Fade Off and On: The Calla has a fade option that will gradually turn the lights on and off over a 30-minute period. The tone of the light will become more pronounced or less pronounced.
The Calla Outdoor Bollard is a great addition to your yard for security and ambiance.
Philips Hue Discover Outdoor Floodlight
The Philips Hue Discover Outdoor Floodlight is perfect for driveway security or backyard security. You can even change the light color scheme with a choice of over 16 million colors. Perfect for the holiday season. The Discovery Outdoor Floodlight has three main capabilities that make it one of the best smart floodlights in the industry.
- Easy Install: Has two USB ports on it allowing you to charge your smartphone or other smart devices in the same plug allowing you to save space on your wall.
- Weather Proof: It has an IP rating of IP44, which meets the minimum standard for weather protection. Most outdoor lights are IP44.
- Dimmable: You can change the brightness of the floodlight with the Philips Hue app.
The Philips Hue Discover Outdoor Floodlight is an exceptional floodlight with a few extra perks that make it a top-rated smart floodlight.
Philips Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor
The Philips Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor is one of my favorite smart lights because of its ability to turn on certain lights upon motion detection. Those lights can be inside and/or outside assuring me I am protecting my home even when I am not there. The Outdoor Motion Sensor has three main capabilities that make it one of the best smart motion sensors in the industry.
- Battery Powered: The Outdoor Motion Sensor is battery powered allowing you to mount it anywhere for peak security.
- Automates all Lights: By triggering motion all lights connected via the Philips Hue application can and will turn on.
- Weather Rating: The Outdoor Motion Sensor is rated at IP54 making it weather resistant.
The Philips Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor definitely meets all expectations and should be at the top of your list for consideration.
Ring Smart Lighting Motion Activated Outdoor Battery Integrated LED Spotlight
The Ring Smart Lighting Motion Activated Outdoor Battery Integrated LED Spotlight is new to the smart light industry as are the rest of the Ring smart light products. However, I have added it to the list of best smart lights due to the fact that it is battery powered and comes in two colors making it less obvious on your home or building. The Ring Spotlight also has four main capabilities that make it one of the best smart plugs in the industry.
- Battery-Powered: The spotlights are battery powered, which gives you unlimited possibilities for mounting.
- Comes in Pack of Two: Ring provides you with two spotlights when you purchase this product allowing you to set up one in the front yard and one in the backyard or to ensure one larger area is covered. The price of a two-pack cannot be beaten.
- Motion Activated: The spotlight will turn on as it senses motion in its view and will also send you notifications of the detection.
- Alexa Integration: You can turn on and off your spotlight with Alexa using your voice as well as modify settings.
The Ring Spotlight is worth investigating more because of its integration with Alexa, it is battery powered, and weather resistant.
Ring Smart Lighting Motion Activated Outdoor Battery Integrated LED Pathlight
The Ring Smart Lighting Motion Activated Outdoor Battery Integrated LED Pathlight is one of my favorites on this list of five because you can sync it with other Ring Smart Lights and products and it will activate upon motion. The Ring Pathlight has four main capabilities that make it one of the best smart lights that Ring has to offer, as well as in the industry.
- Battery-Powered: As with other Ring smart light options, the Pathlight(s) are battery powered giving you the best options for placing them near your driveway or walkway.
- Bright 360⁰ Shine: The path light(s) shine in 360⁰ ensuring you get the most amount of light out of the product.
- Motion Activated: The path light(s) will turn on as it senses motion; therefore, as someone starts to walk up your driveway or walkway to the door the lights will turn on and you can receive motion detection alerts.
- Ring Bridge Connection: You can sync the path light(s) to your other ring products so that they automatically turn on. For example, you can set up a routine where your patio light will turn on if and when your path light(s) are activated.
It goes without saying that Philips Hue and Ring are two of the best smart product developers today. Philips Hue has been developing smart lights for several years now, only advancing due to technology. Ring is new to the smart light business but has developed some exceptional products. Either one of these manufacturers will make you happy.